Cat5 Stranded Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat5 Stranded Cable

Anyone know where I can buy locally in Darwin rolls of CAT5 Stranded & connectors?

dick smith used to, otherwise, try a data cabling company

Comment

MM electrical sell cabley type stuff. They're on tiger brennan at winellie

Comment

Dicky smith, Jaycar, middys(big pink store near CSG), CCS -Communication cable solutions.

I would say CCS and Middys would be best. If you want quick service just say your going to a remote aboriginal community and need it right now. Always works when I rock up and they look at me as a kid

Comment

Originally posted by Joshuayu101 View Post
          they look at me as a kid
          prolly cos you wear that backpack on your front

Comment

MM Electrical sell the 400Ft rolls and the RJ45 terminations blocks. That is where I got my Cat6 from a while ago. Otherwise go to Jaycar if you only want 20m or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
              Originally posted by Joshuayu101 View Post
              they look at me as a kid
              prolly cos you wear that backpack on your front
              Don't be silly aegis its cause he is Asian.

Comment

I dont know if many folks in town will have stranded cable, most will be solid cable for in-wall installations.

Stranded connectors will also be harder to find, and more expensive to buy than solid connectors.

What type of installation is this for? Are you making some big-arse patch leads?

Comment

well the truth is I am going remote haha but I got it from MM thanks guys

Dick smith doesnt sell unmade cable anymore, in fact they only have Cat6 anyway

i ended up with solid but MM said they could order in stranded if required. just for future reference if anyone is looking & yes it is more expensive.

I work at remote communities a lot and need cable size flexibility so its easier & cheaper for me to create my own rather than buy all different sizes. I just ran out of my last roll recabling the bosses office!

Comment

So are you using it for structured cabling? (inside walls, to patch panels, points etc)

Or is it for patch leads like you are going to run over the floor, under desks etc and just crimp ends on to it to go straight into the computer? If you crimp ends for stranded onto solid cable you will end up with data errors. (they wont crimp correctly)

I'd have almost a full roll of stranded cat5 I'd probably offload for a couple of cartons...

Comment

its for everything but mainly general use. I dont cable I dont have a license for cabling

im not sure my work would cover the carton cost haha but ill ask and keep it in mind

Comment

Originally posted by SperO View Post
                        its for everything but mainly general use. I dont cable I dont have a license for cabling
                        Well terminating stranded into patch panel and wall sockets will be no good. That's what solid is for. Stranded is only for self-made patch leads, and you need to use jacks designed for stranded cable. The inserts you crimp go thru the cable for the connection.

There is no general cable designed for everything, however you can get crimps for solid cable. (it just doesn't bend as nicely as stranded cable. The inserts you crimp for solid go alongside the cable for the connection.

It's no real concern of mine about the cablers licencing situation, but if they dont know what they are doing then the client will lose data integrity.

[/QUOTE]im not sure my work would cover the carton cost haha but ill ask and keep it in mind[/QUOTE]

cheers. It'd end up being half the cost of your MM cable...

Comment

You need a licence to make those types of cables too if the bits they carry have the potential to enter a carrier network. Strictly speaking unless you are a licenses cabler you should only use C ticked pre made cables, unless their is a physical gap between your network and a carrier network. Of course there are a number of cabling rules that are just plain stupid and written by people with vested interest.

Comment

yea Im not terminating into wall sockets or anything. The extent of my "cabling" was installing my own conduit on the wall bringing it over the roof and connecting it to a port on the other side of the room. I call it cabling because it sounds cooler technically it was cabling haha.

doesn't look like we are going to go the way of your stranded right now but if you still have it when I run out of this stuff I'll hit you up.

Comment

Working...
                            X