X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC iView

ABC iView | Internet TV Service

ABC launches free net TV service | Australian IT

THE ABC's voracious and highly successful push into the digital domain has taken another mighty leap with the launch of ABC iView.
    The free internet TV service, which went live last night and is available at abc.net.au/iview, is the first real attempt by an Australian network to deliver comprehensive content online.

Currently, both the Nine and Seven networks upload teasers, excerpts and exclusive content and Ten uploads full episodes of a handful of programs including Neighbours and Good News Week.

But none are as comprehensive as the ABC's five new channels: ABC CatchUp, currently showing 19 weekly programs for up to a week after their broadcast on ABC1 or ABC2, including The Hollowmen, Q&A and The Gruen Transfer; ABC News, featuring news excerpts and programs; ABC Kazam!, a children's fantasy channel; documentary channel ABC Docs; and culture channel ABC Arts.

An ABC Shop Channel will also play previews for programs that can be rented or purchased when consumers are sent to the separate ABC Shop Downloads commercial site.

"As a public broadcaster we can no longer say that what we do is put a program to air once at, say, 9pm on a Wednesday and if the audience doesn't watch it, bad luck, they have to wait for a repeat six months later," said ABC director of television Kim Dalton.

"People don't relate to TV that way any more."

Currently, 72 online programs represent more than 40 hours of screen time, although that quantity will expand.

cool - good work ABC

Comment

now i just need to figure out how to hone into these things with my xbox360
      also things like this should be free content

Comment

Damn beat me to it.... how cool is the ABC, first to do Digital channels and now free internet TV, big thumbs up.

iView is unmetered on the following ISPs:

* iinet
        * The ABC is in negotiation with other ISPs to offer ABC iView unmetered to their customers

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Of Nih View Post
          now i just need to figure out how to hone into these things with my xbox360
          also things like this should be free content
          it IS free content.

owait. only because i'm on iinet.

Comment

iinet still doing it free. Node only offer it free if it is on ABC servers but the ABC have been offloading a lot of their content onto other networks.

Comment

Is ABC iview unmetered ? - Internode - Whirlpool Broadband Forums

Comment

Is it really that hard to cut and paste it OD???

Comment

We're Sorry...
                  We're unable to supply the service you have requested. This may be due to unavoidable technical problems or very high load on our site. We apologise for any inconvenience and anticipate that normal service will resume shortly.
                  already getting smashed

Comment

"As a public broadcaster we can no longer say that what we do is put a program to air once at, say, 9pm on a Wednesday and if the audience doesn't watch it, bad luck, they have to wait for a repeat six months later," said ABC director of television Kim Dalton.

"People don't relate to TV that way any more."
                    I like this part.
                    It seems there ARE people in the industry out there that realise there has been a shift in the way people want access to programs.

Hopefully this spreads.

Comment

too cool, i like kazam - free anime

Comment

Good news... Internode and Iprimus join Inet in offering ABC's iview unmetered.

As a Node customer I am over the moon about this.

iTWire - iPrimus unmeters ABC TV?s iView: who?s next?

Internode joined the unmetered iView club yesterday, and now iPrimus has officially announced it too is a member.

With iPrimus? Andrew Sims saying that ?This is great for iPrimus? customers as they can now enjoy a high quality ABC iView service on an unmetered basis?, the question is clear ? wouldn?t this be great for Telstra and Optus customers, too?

As Sims says: ?Unmetered content, including iView is excluded from our customers? monthly download allowance, so they?re able to use their data allowance for other web sites and services on the web,? with Sims also noting that ?new and innovative content ideas? will come in the New Year to follow the ABC TV iView announcement.

Yes, we know that Telstra already offers a great deal of unmetered content to BigPond members, including a host of its own television programming, including BigPond Sports Weekend and BigPond News.

BigPond also offers paid TV show and movie downloads from its own legal content services, and doesn?t charge BigPond members for the downloaded data.

And other ISPs have copied BigPond?s approach, variously offering unmetered access to gaming servers, iTunes, other video programming and now the ABC?s iView.

Indeed many ISPs have always offered access to file downloads from its servers on an unmetered basis, but in a world of digital media, and in a country with download limits, the ability to offer unmetered content is a great value add that keeps customers happy and stops them from churning over to competitors.

But as Telstra is Australia?s largest ISP, it?s a shame that the ABC and Telstra can?t, as yet, come to a deal to make iView available to all BigPond users.
                        I am surprised that Node didn't send me an email about this though. Here is their Press Realease Internode :: About :: News and Media :: Internode offers unmetered peering into ABC iView.

ABC iView, now available quota free for Internode customers through the normal ABC iView entry page at http://www.abc.net.au/iview, provides television-on-demand via your broadband service. The high-resolution, full-screen viewing experience gives Internode customers access to a wide range of ABC content on their computer, including:
                        • ABC CatchUp, which showcases popular shows from ABC1 and ABC2
                        • ABC News
                        • ABC Kazam!, a high-energy channel for kids
                        • ABC Docs, containing natural history programs, social documentaries and factual series
                        • ABC Arts, a schedule that celebrates the arts in Australia and beyond
                        • ABC Shop, which previews programs for rent or purchase from ABC Shop Downloads.

ABC iView uses the Adobe Flash Player to provide a high-quality experience for viewers.

Internode has started offering its customers unmetered access to ABC iView through a collaborative effort with the ABC. This effort has seen the resolution of previous technical challenges that prevented Internode from providing high performance, nationally available unmetered access to iView.

Internode managing director Simon Hackett said access to ABC iView was Internode's Christmas gift to its customers. "ABC iView is a quick and convenient way to catch up if you've missed an ABC program," he said. "Internode is pleased to provide this service to its customers, with no impact on their download quotas, now that the ABC has made it technically possible for us to do so."

Comment

awesomeness

Comment

sweet!!

Comment

I have just finished watching the new Wallace and Gromit Christmas special on my 42" Plasma through iview.... thank you ABC & internode. :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X