F1 2008 cars vs F1 2009 cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2008 cars vs F1 2009 cars

I'll paste McLaren/Ferrari here, but for everything else, check out the source.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ferrari_f60_f2008_front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	601558

Name:	ferrari_f60_f2008_top.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	601559

Name:	ferrari_f60_f2008_side.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	601560

The top picture of the F60 and F2008 alongside each other shows not just how much wider the front wings are this year - but also how much lower they are. This is a major change over recent seasons where on several occasions the FIA has required teams to increase the heights of their front wings in a bid to make them work less effectively and reduce cornering speeds.

The incredible intricacy and sophistication of 2008-style F1 aerodynamics is out the window this year - with a few small exceptions. The odd pile of squiggles in front of the Ferrari side pods (also on the Williams FW31 and Toyota TF109) shows the rule makers haven?t been entirely successful in eradicating complex aerodynamics.

Ferrari have reduced the size of their exhausts which, as seen on the launch car above, were thought not to comply with the 2009 regulations.

Name:	mclaren_mp424_mp423.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	601561

McLaren began testing this week using the 2009 car but with the 2008 rear wing. Am I the only one who thought it looked absolutely brilliant? The lower, wider rear wing looked great with the front wing in similar proportions. I?m not sold on the high, narrow rear wings yet - unless it turns out they really do allow the cars to follow each other more closely.

McLaren didn?t provide many studio pictures of its car when it was launched but some more recently became available.

bah, i prefer the sci-fi looking ones

Comment

2008 models looks sexy as over the new 2009 models

Comment

i can see one problem with the ferrari car

it has ACER on it

Ferrari ACER powered by AMD = EPIC FAIL

Comment

much cleaner lines and less winglets. i like it.
          Jury is still out wether its going to allow cars to follow closely and overtake.

Comment

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dzSBtmytmk]YouTube - Red Bull RB5 2009 F1 Rule Book[/ame]

Comment

Wait... When did they switch to V8's in F1? I mean, first it was the V12-V10 change, now they're V8's? ~_~

Comment

Soon they'll be running Subaru boxer motors :p

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Subaru boxer engine. ^O^

but you're right, I can see it now, flat sixes soon enough... I feel a little jipped... nothing beats the sound of a V12 revving it's tits off.
                  Sure it's a 'taste' thing, but seriously....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXUOomynxw&feature=PlayList&p=1BBB8205783 98E1E&playnext=1&index=37]YouTube - ferrari f1 sounds v12[/ame]

Comment

It comes down to needing to minimalise noise pollution and emissions. The long term goal is efficient and quiet - KERS is the first real step towards a greener F1.

But for me, I don't particularly care about the sound it makes or the size of the engine. As long as they always go really f*cking fast, are using state of the art technology and the tactics/strategies stay as rich as they are now, that's all I really care about.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                      But for me, I don't particularly care about the sound it makes or the size of the engine. As long as they always go really f*cking fast, are using state of the art technology and the tactics/strategies stay as rich as they are now, that's all I really care about.
                      I lol'd.

Comment

Working...
                      X