Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Life vs Work Life

Man sacked for racist slurs on Facebook

I'm on the fence about this. Not knowing exactly what was said, it's hard to pass judgement but regardless of anything personal life != professional life. If you come to work, don't cause problems at work and do your job, what you do outside that is truly nobody else's business.

It don't agree with being able to fire someone for anything involving their personal life - it's almost an extension of living to work instead of working to live. A person's entire life should not revolve around work.

Personally my employees could say and do whatever the fuck they want in their own time as long as they come to work and do their job properly.

Obvious exceptions are things like criminal records but if it's not illegal, then what right does an employer have to fire someone for it? About the only time I can see it being maybe OK is if the employee deliberately makes it appear the company itself is doing/endorsing the offensive acts. If the are only representing themselves (which in their own time they are) nobody else's business.

Opinions?

depends on what's said, I think, and how it relates to your business. Thiess seems to be a project management firm (going purely by the article, I cbf to look into them). Having someone on the staff of a company (that's about interaction with people) who seems happy to fling around hate speech where it's publicly visible and thus traceable back to your business, doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

I imagine the same would happen to me if I slagged off about aboriginals on facebook and had left my privacy settings open. I wouldn't blame work for it either - we have some big clients in that demographic.

Comment

pwsnt ? Blog Archive ? jason dowling - people who said nigger today

Personally I'd fire anyone dumb enough to have a public facebook profile.

Comment

I'd fire anyone that dumb as well... However, as an employer in Australia, if your checking up on your employee it breaks privacy laws and your ex-employee does have grounds to sue you. Technically an employee has the grounds to sue if the employer calls to check up on how your doing if you pull a sick day, even if they are just been concerned. It is an odd loop hole for dip shits to make excuses out of when there low on cash.

Comment

If he wrote the comment while at work and they had clear IT policies that might have case to sack him but other wise if he is not representing the company then they should be able to take any action.

Comment

if the person had references to where he worked on his FB page, then hell yes, they have grounds to fire him

if the person did it on work time or on work resources - laptops etc. Then yes, they can fire him depending on it usage policies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Minorci View Post
              if the person had references to where he worked on his FB page, then hell yes, they have grounds to fire him

if the person did it on work time or on work resources - laptops etc. Then yes, they can fire him depending on it usage policies etc.
              This i agree with ^.

But if it was on his personal time/PC/FB account and there was nothing but him being an employee of that company to relate the 2 i would like to see the bloke sue the company and win.

I don't condone Racism but your personal life should have nothing to do with work, your free to hate and mock anyone u dislike as long as you do your job unbiased.

Comment

I think it's quite simple really.

If a member of the public has access to posts and is able to easily work out that this person is an employee of a certain company and was making racist/etc comments online, then this makes the company look bad. Pretty much every employer has rules regarding employees saying stuff on social networks and how it reflects on the company.

He wrote bad shit; was easily identified as an employee of said company - so therefore he is terminated from his employment. Sounds fair to me.

Where he did it and on what equipment is totally irrelevant.

...btw, the guy is fucking moron. No matter which way you look at it. The profile picture. The status. Seriously the world is better off without these fucking Neanderthals.

One thing I will say is that it's disappointing that you're reading news on ninemsn Wrath.

Comment

A person who's a racist prick in their private life might still be good worker, but if I was their boss I'd still want to fire them if I found out because, well, they're a fucking racist.

Comment

A violent racist at that.

Comment

"He mentioned his workplace a couple of times and he made homophobic comments about some workmates," Caroline said.

Sounds like he got what he deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by http://theantibogan.wordpress.com
                        Making people lose their jobs is NOT our objective. But highlighting bogans' racism so that it hinders their future opportunities is a small part of our goal. It is unfortunate that as a result of losing his job, his children are already affected somewhat. Thankfully, our taxpayer dollars will pay for his children and their appropriately sacked father. I believe that any member of this guy's family is already disadvantaged, in more ways than just financially, just by having him as a role model/family representative.
                        QFT.

Comment

Originally posted by grandinferno View Post
                          One thing I will say is that it's disappointing that you're reading news on ninemsn Wrath.
                          Haha yeah only saw it cause I had to open IE for something :p

While this guy MAY have mentioned his work and deserve it, it's still an iffy issue overall outside this one case. I can see both sides of the story but really, I think a person's private life should be their own business.

Comment

I think this chick had a personal vendetta against the dude. Sucks he lost his job and after all this publicity will probably make it that much harder getting another one. Either way he's still a douche so let this be a lesson to him, don't be such a dumb ass.

Comment

got what he deserved IMO, as soon as they found out the decision was made, who would want to answer the question "you knew about this and still had him on staff"

Comment

Working...
                              X