Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Media Centre Alternative

Hello everyone!

I'm seeking assistance in a dilemma I am having, up until a couple of weeks ago we have been using 3 playstations to watch movies from the HDD. All d/l torrents. Well the smart bastards didn't slap a big warning on one of the updates they did that stops you watching movies with special audio encodings (mainly blue-ray rips I think).

What I want to do is figure away either around this or I have heard of lil media boxes that run xbox media centre (only problem is we have wifi so no hd video over the air), as long as we can run our video from the usb drives in hd (1080p hdmi out).

Please help!

i use this for my Xbox but from what i read it works with PS3 as well
    TVersity - Home

Comment

...or you could just get a WDTV Live for $125.

Comment

I'm going through the reviews etc and can't find a fix for the ps3.
        Ratty that isn't suitable for me as streaming over the wifi is dodgy (might be the pre-N spec routers fault though). The ps3's are all over the house, mines the closest the router but it still a pain having the cable run wild through the room .

I haven't heard great reviews on the WDTV compared to the Acer Aspire Revo.

The Acer Aspire Revo seems pretty dam cool! I'm reading into it as a future solution. Acer Aspire Revo 3610 Atom ION 330 Review | Paul J Roberts. (Edited: this thing does everything! .... well seems to)

Comment

oh, if it isnt XBMC in particular you're after, i can't recommend the WDTV Live enough - it's a fantastic device. Particularly with the firmware updated.

Comment

PS3 Media Server

Comment

Originally posted by Ratty View Post
              i use this for my Xbox but from what i read it works with PS3 as well
              TVersity - Home
              i use this solution still
              my wifi is g and i have no issues. its very simple to setup and use and easy to operate (my gf can even do it un aided.)

Comment

XBMC ftw - but don't talk to me, I'm biased by happiness.

Comment

Seagate has a similar one to the WD and has HDMI. Though I personally haven't used it.

FreeAgent Theater+? HD Media Player | Seagate

Comment

I use PS3media linked in phens post.
                    Works well can be installed as a services.
                    For your use you can set the max stream rate, I've used that feature a couple of times when I've been forced onto wireless.

Comment

Cinavia, seems to have everyone fucked.

Comment

Ok so I'm still looking into this and I don't know if the next question needs a new thread but I'll leave the conversation on this thread for now anyway. I'm going to get a media PC, I like the Acer Revo R3700's but they arn't the best out there (and I'm looking on ebay because you save a hell of a lot, compared to buying n Aus).

Whats better, does anyone have something similar? I like the 1ltr case, it's small and simple. I know I should get one that running a D525, and ION2 mobo. I'd like to have usb3 ports as well though, future proof. And you can't convince me other wise, I like the idea of running win7 with xbmc, it makes it more than just a media box.

Whats your thoughts?

Comment

XBMC all the way mate. http://xbmc.org/skins/back-row/

WD Liveis good little player, it played all my media with no probs, my only gripe is the is audio is 2.0 out and doesn't have a idle shut down timer. Plays 1080p content fine over wifi N - I picked this up from JB hifi in perth on boxing day special $99 - There is an android app but I couldnt' get it to work.

Boxee - the first unit I bought kept restarting, so I had to replaced and only picked it up this afternoon. My gripe with the boxee it doesn't queue videos (which the gf is pissed at) and the last firmware update, they decided to remove the volume control from the standard remote ... wtf. There is an android app for this too - I picked this up from netplus in fremantle for $250 cash.

I'm a picky bastard, but to be honest those two devices worked fine and were very easy to setup.

p.s. - Get a htpc machine and get XBMC running with backrow skin and while you're at it, chuck in the xbmc android remote app

tn1.android lover
                          Last edited by tn1; 15-06-11, 12:11 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I got an ASRock Vision 3D (bit of overkill but hey).

Comment

Working...
                            X