Star Trek - The Next Generation Blu-rays Launch in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek - The Next Generation Blu-rays Launch in 2012

You've heard the rumors, and now StarTrek.com can officially confirm it: Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that. Each of the 178 episodes spanning The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world. Star Trek: The Next Generation will, as fans know, be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012.
    CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.
    Star Trek The Next Generation Blu-rays Launch in 2012

*squirt*

Comment

Wow.... 25 years.

Comment

*spoont*

Comment

first of all i thought this article would be about some new disc format replacing current bluray discs lol.

cant wait for this, shame its not a boxset though

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ResLo View Post
              Wow.... 25 years.
              I started to rewatch TNG a few months ago. Only got about 5 episodes in. Every hour of that 25 years shows, and I don't mean the special effects, aspect ratio or resolution. I was left with a "I can't believe I used to watch this shit..." feeling. I decided to watch TOS for the first time instead and to be honest I found that way more compelling.

I know TNG picks up a lot as the series matures, but there's a lot of insipid, trivial shit to wade through before you get to the seasons that made TNG worthwhile. I think because it finished so strongly and had become such a cultural phenomenon by then that people forget how shithouse the first few seasons were.

I rewatched DS9 again about 12 months ago and that hasn't lost any of its awesome. Best. Trek. Series. Ever. Thank you, Ron Moore.

Comment

I agree, I have the box set of all seasons for TNG, and the first 1-3 seasons of it are not the most entertaining. Though some of them are good, and mostly you have to view it with an open mind that a lot of the actors where just getting into their roles.

I still love watching Voyager, up until season 4-5 after 709 comes onto the scene and mostly it turns into "We have a problem, so lets turn to 709 for the solution". Also it would of been better if Voyager showed signs of wear and tear on the ship. Every episode it was like they where flying a ship without any problems what ever.

Kind of ironically, when re-watching the whole StarTrek series I can't believe how naive and dictatorship the whole series where. Generally speaking, you could boil it down to this formula. New contact was made, cultural values where exchanged, for some reason they didn't accept the aliens races culture as being ethical by their standards. They convince them that, their way is the right way to live and treat people. At the end of the episode the alien race acknowledges that their way was wrong and they will try to improve themselves but it would take time.

Andromeda - Till season 3 it's fanatic, it went down hill fast after they fired the main writer. He had some awesome story arcs.
                DS9 - Was cool, and you will find the guy who did the writing for DS9 did some writing for Andromeda.
                Voyager - Good, but goes downhill fast after season 4
                Enterprise - Nice reboot of the series, ultimately failed
                TNG - Good for old times sakes
                Babylon 5 - Watched the first seasons but never pitched it up again
                StarGate, SGU, SGA - All very good and recommend getting
                BattleStar Galaxtica - Hated it, but loved it at the same time.
                Farscape - Generally pretty good, though never made it to the end, kept falling asleep waiting for purple alien sex.
                FireFly - <3 I just remember the whore

Seriously seriously MISS SGU
                Last edited by chad; 17-01-12, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Allow me to reciprocate, chad:

Andromeda - Never watched it, will one day (same goes for Farscape).

DS9 - You already know I think it's the best Trek series.
                  Voyager - More annoying characters than any other Trek series, too much contrived techno-babble and too many manufactured dilemmas that are inexplicably resolved. A shame, too, because some episodes were brilliant (Scorpion, Year of Hell). Might have been awesome had it been a much darker series than it was considering the circumstances the crew were in (think SGU compared to SG1) but obviously Berman et. al. didn't have the balls to shake up the formula. In short: it sucks. Worst Trek series imho.
                  Enterprise - Good series. Slow boiler but really enjoyed the long story-arc of season 2/3 and the mini-arcs of season 4. Apart from the stupid time-traveling Nazi alien one at the beginning of season 4. Shame it got binned just as it was beginning to deliver.
                  TNG - Good as long as you cherry-pick specific episodes and ignore the rest.
                  Babylon 5 - Love the arse off it. First season suffers from the wobbly acting and shit CGI typical of nascent sci-fi series but the scale and depth of the completed main storyline (end of season 4) is just amazing and rewards the viewer for taking the time to watch it all. One of my favourite series of all time.
                  SG1, SGU, SGA - Love the shit out of them all. SG1 overstayed its welcome though. Series 9 & 10 were superfluous. Wished SGA got a couple more seasons. Really pissed that SGU got cancelled just as they were beginning to reveal some awesome secrets about the plot.
                  BSG - Loved 99% of it.
                  Firefly - <3
                  Last edited by Bam Stroker; 17-01-12, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Grabbing DS9 now.

Comment

Ds9 is in fact by far the best Star Trek series i think as well, as do many trekkies.

but no one can deny the badassery of Picard.

also, been wanting to watch TNG again but it looks like ill just have to wait for these babies wootang

Comment

ds9 is actually my least favourite series out of all of them, and i'm a huge trekker.
                        dominion war was meh and avery brooks always to me seemed to sleep through his role
                        still liked it but preferred the others.

Comment

I've actually been re-watching TNG recently (3/4 through Season 1). Kind of forgot how bad the first season actually was; although TNG is still my favourite.

I love DS9 too, though. Garek and Quark alone make that series great.

Enterprise can suck my balls though. That series is a fucking travesty.

Comment

I liked the Star Trek with Jar Jar Binks and Obi Wan.

Comment

Don't forget Snape.

Comment

Working...
                              X