Call of Duty: Black Ops Multiplayer Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty: Black Ops Multiplayer Experience

All bugs aside, is anyone else as underwhelmed about the multiplayer as I am? I have found it to be a really hollow experience, and I cannot see myself playing it pretty much anymore. There's no substance to it, no strategy, no real team play, its all a very solo experience.
    I also find it quite boring! Sure its fast paced, but maps are over quickly so you can't get a feel for the map and where the action is, and spawning, running around for 10 seconds, throwing a grenade and killing someone then getting killed gets old fast, well for me anyway.
    Much preferred Bad Company 2, at least there's a bit of variety in it and teamwork, even if it isn't as "realistic" as this one. After playing Black Ops Multi for 8 hours I'm already regretting spending the money on it, and its made me realise how much more fun I had back in March with Bad Company 2.
    Has anyone else shared this view or am I just a pea in my own pod?

have only really tried CTF and TDM so far. It's okay, light entertainment - I think its greatest worth will come at LANs (where every game is better, even MMOs judging by the number of WoW and Aion players).

But yeah, BFBC2 was/is far more satisfying - a kill in BFBC2 is a real achievement because of the team aspect.

Comment

I'm loving it - hooked harder than I was with Modern Warfare 2. Many of game modes are spammy and unruly, but a good game of CTF, DOM or S&D are much more structured. And they can be very rewarding if you're playing with friends with some orchestration. But yes, Call of Duty, for as long as I remember it, has been a very 'solo' multiplayer experience, whether it's a team game mode or not. You have shared objectives, sure, but ultimately if you're not competing with a team in a ladder or playing with a group of mates, expect pub games to be very much 'every man for himself'.

I disagree regarding the maps being over too quickly to get into a zone. Once you learn the maps, and the game modes, you don't need to get a feel for the map nor where the action is each time. Once you've put in some real time playing, you'll know the maps inside and out, and based on the game mode you'll know where the action is. The only time this isn't the case is in TDM and FFA, which is random and chaotic (and shit).

I'd also argue that it's one of the deepest first person shooter multiplayer experiences out there, but no more so than MW2. The player customisation and ridiculous number of weapon variations means you can truly tailor your load-out to a specific type of play. Learning every weapon, attachment and perk intricacy - and their combination consequences - takes time, and pays off. It's all about the little edges, but what gives you a little edge may not be someone elses. Personally I don't even use grenades, and I never get killed by them - I run, and never stop. Knifing and hip-shooting is where it's at. Scope-what!?

I loved Bad Company 2, but I got bored quicker than what I did with Modern Warfare 2. I'd still be playing MW2 if they had dedicated servers. And that's where Black Ops comes into play.

Comment

I found a Nuketown 24/7 TDM server recently - the most fun i've had so far in MP

Comment

Ugh. That's the worst map in the entire game. Paired with the second worse game mode. What the hell is wrong with you.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
            Ugh. That's the worst map in the entire game. Paired with the second worse game mode. What the hell is wrong with you.
            Whatever's he's got I've got it too then. :p

Comment

Oh noes.

Comment

that's actually a good tedium map - tight quarters = frenetic pacing

Comment

MW2 outlasted BFBC2 by far for me and thats saying something given how much MW2 pissed me off.

This game has me mega hooked, loving it and not gunna stop... and i don't see the no team aspect i play with a few mates on voice chat and we work as a team the whole time...

also... nuketown = bad map

Comment

I didn't mention it in my initial rant, but there's just something so much better about the COD engine (id Tech 3/Quake 3). There's no stickiness, no clumsiness. The movement mechanic feels free, sharp and precise. It's how a first person shooter feel.

The Unreal engine comes close, but everything DICE has produced is outright clunky, and the frustration derived from that is what has killed every Battlefield experience for me.

In Quake, Couter-Strike and old Medal of Honors (Allied Assault) everything felt just right. I blamed myself when I died, not the game engine.

This is indeed coming from the perspective of an elitest (some may argue elitest tool), who spent years involved in the e-sports community, travelling for competition. Sure, some people may not feel or understand the vast difference in input/control, others may not care. But it's there, and it's a big deal when you really give a shit about your performance, and the final score.

Comment

I love this engine! I've said to many people that they could have just re-released mw2 with dedicated servers and I would have paid the 60 bucks again and wouldn't give a shit.
                      As rec said when you die in this game you blame yourself as there is never any unnatural responses to the inputs you give.
                      Now all the need to do is nerf prone and I'll give free jobbies to em

Comment

Prone is so annoying. I want to kill those people.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                          I really enjoy it because it's so fast paced.

Comment

Originally posted by grandinferno View Post
                            Prone is so annoying. I want to kill those people.
                            This.

Bit unfair to compare MW2 to BFBC2, completely different modes of gameplay and on an objective-focused gameplay basis BC2 wins out easily.

Comment

I know what you mean about the clumsiness in aiming Rec, BC2 does falter there in comparison to Blops and Quake, but I guess we're just different kinds of gamers. I'm more of a team player than a Rambo, and Blops just feels like a bunch of Rambos running around imitating Flipper whilst putting a bullet in your head.

Comment

Working...
                              X