Source update sees major change in the way mouse inputs are obtained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source update sees major change in the way mouse inputs are obtained

Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Updates Released
    Product Update - Valve

Updates to Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch have been released.

The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2-DM)
    -Added support for raw mouse input.
    -Improved custom mouse acceleration
    -Updated mouse configuration UI to support raw input and acceleration; added tooltips to some of the options
    -Fixed UI tooltips so that they display correctly on first hover

Raw input reads directly from the mouse, bypassing Windows control panel mouse settings. This addresses issues with high DPI mice, and provides for a more reliable controller experience at various resolutions
    Nice....

I just love that 8 thousand years after valve released their games, they're still making them better.

Comment

Well, my stuttering in Black Ops remains. Time to install CSS for a game.

Comment

Valve are awesome. They don't release a heap of games but the backup and free DLC they add to each and every game is great.

I'd pay for life membership if something like that existed.

Comment

Originally posted by ResLo View Post
          Valve are awesome. They don't release a heap of games but the backup and free DLC they add to each and every game is great.

I'd pay for life membership if something like that existed.
          +1

Comment

I dont see why they added this. Im not bagging it. But was it really needed?

Comment

Anything that improves mouse performance is worth it. Especially when we're talking Counter-Strike, which remains the most played competitive game in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                Anything that improves mouse performance is worth it. Especially when we're talking Counter-Strike, which remains the most played competitive game in the world.
                Not really improves much. It only improves the mouse ratio between resolution and usually not a big thing for mouse sensitivity to be read from windows. Its been happening for years and is accepted.

I wish they used the time to implement ammo system for cs source.

Comment

Even a fractional improvement is a big deal for a pro gamer.

Comment

Even a fractional improvement is a big deal for a pro gamer.
                    not if they have already comfortable and adapted with their mouse sens.

Comment

Um, what? You're telling me no competitive gamer is going to consider this potential improvement - because they're "comfortable" with their current arrangement? That's ridiculous, and I assure you is for the larger part entirely incorrect. Casual gamers settle, while elitists strive for better.

Even when I'm comfortable with my setup, I embrace and even pursue technology and options that could provide any possible benefit. Everyone I played with in Pantheon and our top tier competition would be making changes at every opportunity to try and give themselves that extra edge, regardless of how tiny it might be.

I'm talking things like upping the polling rate on USB ports, putting petroleum jelly underneath their keyboard keys, and buying cheap Logitech mice just to steal their teflon feet when theirs have worn slightly.

Comment

So you're suggesting you're at the elitist level?

Comment

I haven't played CS/CSS competitively for many years, but I was once upon a time.

I still treat my performance in shooters as srs business, but am not competing on a national stage, and probably won't - because Counter-Strike is still the only FPS that gets any real attention at tournaments such as The World Cyber Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshuayu101 View Post
                            Not really improves much. It only improves the mouse ratio between resolution and usually not a big thing for mouse sensitivity to be read from windows. Its been happening for years and is accepted.

I wish they used the time to implement ammo system for cs source.

There is so much wrong with this.

#1. Valve is not counterstrike, source is not counterstrike. A change made to the source engine is certainly not being made by the people implementing changes in counterstrike gameplay.

#2. I remember having to run a registry fix in winxp to disable mouse acceleration because the mouse input was being processed there first. Source engine is multiplatform, I can definitely see a benefit in having a universally consistant mouse/game interface.

#3. Everything valve does is perfect and wonderful and therefore you are wrong.

Comment

I haven't played CS/CSS competitively for many years, but I was once upon a time.

I still treat my performance in shooters as srs business, but am not competing on a national stage, and probably won't - because Counter-Strike is still the only FPS that gets any real attention at tournaments such as The World Cyber Games.
                              Plus you're old now, old and slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X