Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BF3: Conquest Australia - our own GC for Aussie players? Format/rules discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3: Conquest Australia - our own GC for Aussie players? Format/rules discussion.

REGISTRATION: http://gamers-underground.com/action-fps/35600-bf3-conquest-australia-registration.html

TL;DR - Fuck you. Read it you lazy prick.

I've been kicking around some ideas for our own version of Global Conflict I'm tentatively calling Conquest Australia (included for free: shitty 5-minute logo attempt). Below is a wall of text with my thoughts on how we'd organise the competition. I don't say anything about the rules of the strategic layer of the game for now but most likely we'll settle on some derivative of the GC campaign rules. We'll have that conversation later. In the meantime please weigh in with your thoughts on the suggestions I've made below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bf3ca.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	602436

This is an attempt to create a Global Conflict style BF3 tournament in a timezone friendly to Australian players. Primary goals of this are:
    1. Apply a strategic layer to normal BF3 play and connect separate rounds of BF3 into a cohesive campaign (a la Wolfenstein: ET).
    2. Encourage team play by providing a mutual long-term goal for teams rather than emphasising individual performance on a per-round basis.
    3. Maximise the advantages of BF3's unique squad- and class-based mechanics by establishing a recognised leadership hierarchy within structured teams.
    TEAMS:

There will be a sign up period for players to register for the tournament. The goal is to get 32 committed, returning players who are prepared to play over the course of the campaign which would run over a few weeks. Play will be limited to one night per week. Duration of the campaign will depend on how long it takes a team to achieve the victory conditions.

Initial registration will only be open to GU members to get as many as possible into the campaign. When it looks like we've got as many GU members on board as possible then players will be encouraged to solicit registrations from others within their gaming circles, such as other clans of good standing or reputable personal friends who enjoy BF3. If this is successful then down the track we might modify it to be a clan vs. clan based league?

Teams will consist 16 players each of which one will be a General (elected by a ballot of all registered players) who are in charge of team selection, campaign strategy, map strategy and squad allocation and 15 other players who are chosen in a private draft by the General.

PLAYERS:

During the sign up each player will nominate a preferred primary and secondary class and role and identify any vehicle specialities. Once 32 players have signed up there will be a nomination and voting process to appoint the Generals for each team.

GENERALS:

Once the two Generals are elected they will assemble their teams from the remaining 30 players in a private draft. First pick will be decided by coin toss and then sides will be filled with the Generals making alternating picks. This should contribute to a general balance in skill of the two teams.

Generals will then assign their players to squads as they see fit. Generals may elect to use as many or as few of the 8 available squads allowed by the game in any combination of class and role. Generals will be leading a squad and playing in the games but will also determine overall strategy, team composition and assign their squad leaders a general mission for the round, eg. "defend A and B all game", "get in jets and take out enemy choppers", "hunt down enemy snipers" etc. which the squad leaders will direct their squads to carry out to the best of their ability.

STANDBY PLAYERS:

Anyone who wants to play but misses out on the sign up can, if they wish, go into a standby pool to sub in for a registered player if the registered player does a no-show or they're otherwise unable to attend. Replacements will be chosen from the pool based on the closest possible match with the absent player taking into account their preferred class, play style and SPM. The team General will have the final say on replacements but he may not replace a mediocre player with a highly skilled player to give his side an advantage.

In the event there are not enough replacements available for missing players then teams will be balanced as well as possible prior to the start of a round even if players have to be co-opted from the other team to keep things even.

NO-SHOWS:

If a registered player does two no shows over the course of the campaign without giving prior notice they will be dropped and replaced permanently. But this does not mean they are banned. A dropped player will go into the standby pool and may return to the game if a spot they're eligible for (i.e. comparable rank/role/SPM) opens up in subsequent rounds.

CONDUCT:

BF3 is still just a game but to have a reasonable chance of finding out if this idea is any good then folks will have to abide by a few basic principles. E.g. show up at the appointed time, play the role and objective you've been allocated to the best of your ability, don't grief your team, and acknowledge that by registering you've agreed to respect the concept of a "chain of command" within the game. Any General or Squad Leader who suddenly develops a Napoleon complex and starts acting like a prick should rightly be told to fuck off, but if someone you've agreed to put yourself under the authority of tells you to do something in-game then you should make an effort to follow their directions rather than saying "LAWL STFU FAG." and start C4ing your own vehicles. That's what regular BF3 is for.
    Last edited by rec; 16-02-12, 03:28 PM.

Bring it.

Comment

sounds good!

Comment

Totally up for this, are we going to have any modified rules posted? Or are we going to go by what GC have down on their Wiki page? We could use a quickly summary of the rules to sum it up for those that have a hard time understanding everything.

Comment

Obviously a big part of this is the strategic element, otherwise we might as well just play regular BF3 without going to all this trouble. But I'd like the strategic part to be something meaningful rather than just an elaborate system for tracking who won and where. I'd like to take a leaf out of the book of strategy games like Risk where conquering certain territories confer some kind of benefit. Like say if the attacker conquers Territory X then he gets a single use "bonus card" he can play at some future stage, like maybe something that gives his team 10% more tickets for a single round, or reduces his team's vehicle respawn time for a single round, or "assassinate" a specific member of the other team (that is, make them sit out a round not have their role replaced).

Obviously the timing of their use would be important - there'd be no point in using your vehicle bonus on Metro, for example.

I've spoken to rec about the flexibility of the server rules for changing these settings but he's indicated to me that they're global and that you can't change them for one specific team. There is a map though (I think it's Wake Island) where the defender starts with more tickets than the attacker, so that leads me to believe that it is possible to change things like that with a few server-side mods which I'll have to look into.

Right now I'm thinking that one side is the "home" team and initially controls all of the territories. The other team are the invaders and they have a limited number of gaming days to occupy and hold a certain number of territories to be declared the winners.

I would love to find some way to add that bonus system though to spice things up a bit.

Comment

Hey guys. FYI I haven't forgotten about this, RL has just been a bit busy lately. Will get the wheels turning on this soon.

Comment

This needs a bumpage.

If needed I can help out in the organising of things.

How about we schedule a match or two for Friday evening - even if we just raid a pub server?

Comment

Seems we still have the GU server, so that's an option.

Comment

Working...
                X