The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals

The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals - League of Legends Community

We finally got to the computers, and there were 10 computers that was to be used for ALL the teams of LoL and CS 1.6.
    Herpa fucking derp.

Full Story:
    Hey,

This thread is to explain how and why the LoL Nationals at WCG Australia 2011 was a disaster and how it degrades the League of Legends brand.

My name is Ghaan, I am founder and admin of Information one of the largest community websites for Australian League of Legends players, and the Team Captain of Team LoLA, the 2nd highest seeded team for the event.

WCG Australia took place at the EB Expo 2011 at the Gold coast convention and exhibition center on October 15th (saturday) and 16th (sunday) run by TLS (Triumph Leisure Solutions).

For weeks we were told that we would be flying in on the night of the 14th, so we can have a night's rest before the Nationals began. However no information was given to us until friday morning when they suddenly changed the flight to 6am on Saturday, telling us we would be on a 2 hour flight, 1.5 hour bus ride, and start playing the first match without even being able to go to our accommodation and putting our luggage down.

The information itself including contracts that we had to sign were emailed to me on the night we were "suppose" to fly out after I personally called the person from TLS that was running the event about 5 times.

When all the teams arrived at Brisbane airport (CS 1.6, LoL, SC2, Fifa) we had no idea where to go. That was over 50 people completely lost wandering around for an hour, at one point the person from TLS running the event had to call my phone and ask ME where everyone was because he had no idea. (It's not my job to manage over 50 people).

We finally found the bus that took all the teams to the convention center, and apparently they took all our luggage to our "accommodation" which we STILL had no information about. Most players just decided to carry their luggage with them to the event.

We finally got to the computers, and there were 10 computers that was to be used for ALL the teams of LoL and CS 1.6. Which would mean we would have to play one game at a time for both games, resulting in them changing the rules at the last second to single elimination and best of one.

Let me repeat this for those of you who didn't get me the first time.

WORLD CYBER GAMES Nationals. Single Elimination, Best of ONE

The single largest event for League of Legends in the history of Australia was single elimination and best of one. Even the qualifiers for this event were best of 1, double elimination and the finals of the Qualifiers was best of 3...

They released the brackets for the League of Legends Nationals on the morning of the 15th, and for HOURS it remained the same, my team was preparing to verse to winners of Team Mindfreak and Clan Carnage, about mid way through watching their game, the guy from TLS comes to me and says, "oh there was an error in the bracket, you are now versing Team Sequential". A team we had no preparation or research for. Herpa fcuking derp?

So we versed Team Sequential and we lost. Now I was upset about the lost but Team SQL was an excellent team and they outplayed us, but that isn't why I was so pissed or rather baffled at how poorly organized this event was. Only way to explain what I mean is to put it in 2 scenarios.

If we one that match against SQL, and by match I mean ONE match (best of one lulz) we would be in the GRAND finals. If we lose that same match, we would be eliminated. Absolutely ridiculous.

I confronted TLS and asked why they changed the brackets at the last minute, and they said the seeding was wrong, that we were seeded first place, and SQL and Fray were 3rd and 2nd. So I explained, no that's wrong. We should be seeded 2nd, and he said that he can't help it because the first game is already over and that they drew teams out of a hat to determine what seeding they were.

So basically we woke up at 4am to catch a flight at 6, took a 2 hour flight, 1.5 hour bus ride, carrying all our luggage, had to immediately play one match (40minutes), got eliminated and had absolutely nothing to do for the next 2 days, couldn't go back to the hotel because they didn't give us our keys yet and had to pay for our own taxi ride back and forth the convention center and hotel for food, cloths, etc which costed us 20 dollars each way. I think we spent about 80 dollars just on cab rides back and forth.

When we finally got our keys and got to the hotel, there was a mix up of players and rooms, and there were like 9 people from 2 teams in a room with 4 beds (one fold up, lulz). I ended up sleeping on the couch, 2 people had to share a bed, there were people on the floor trying to sleep so they can play in the grand finals the next day. I believe at one point Frenetic Array called their sponsors, and they had to be picked up and moved to the sponsors hotel because there was no room to sleep. LOL

At the day of the grand finals, the guys from TLS still had no idea whether they should do the finals best of one or best of 3. Tony "Yons Hooper, my events manager at my website who was managing the LoL competitions (more like running it himself) actually told the teams that this is ridiculous, and that if TLS decided on best of one, that they should refuse to play. Luckily that resulted in them finally bending over and making the finals best of 3.

And because they fcuked up the entire schedule, we had to get up at 2am to fly back home.

gg.

I hope that Riot will personally help manage events at Australia in the future.

Update: Another thing that really bothered me was with single elimination and best of one, you can't really get a proper 3rd place match. Basically the 2 matches after the first round were LoLA vs SQL and MF vs Fray. But because LoLA vs SQL match went first the loser of that match were eliminated while the loser of MF vs Fray got 3rd place just because there were only 10 computers, and only 1 match could be taken place at a time and we just happened to go first.

And the sheer unprofessional-ism of TLS staff was ridiculous. At one point I was sitting down in one of the empty chairs next to the computers so I could watch a match since I was standing for 6 hours, and someone from TLS just came up to me and told me to "Get the fcuk out of my chair".

Wow.

Comment

Typical Australian e-sports organising. A bunch of clowns almost always end up running these events, and they're almost always laughable.

This does seem particularly poor, though.

Comment

GG WCG... makes Australia look real good..

Comment

The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals - Page 14 - League of Legends Community
          Originally posted by SQL TtRusty
          sir from what i know we are getting 600gig harddrives, no info on money but hey, i've come to terms with not expecting anything and just to wait and see what we get.. I'm more then happy to have the opportunity to represent australia in korea by itself.

Originally posted by LoLA Ghaan
          Yons, I appreciate your help and trying to manage this event as best as you can. If it wasn't for you, it would have been about 10x worse. But you have to look at the straight facts. This was World f**king Cyber Games. If the company that was suppose to provide computers for WCG "ran into difficulties" that a separate cs 1.6 sponsor had to provide 10 computers, the event shouldn't have been ran in the first place.

You say that TLS had to gain funds so the players did not need to pay for their own flights and accommodations. Well that was the whole point of spending 13 hours playing in the qualifiers wasn't it? To win free flights and accommodations... So you can't say that we have to thank TLS for providing us with that, because that was already promised to 1st place winners, not to mention they completely scrapped the cash and hardware rewards from the qualifiers without telling anyone.

And everything aside. Nothing explains the ridiculous unprofessional-ism shown by Chris 'R0cky' Hailes telling me to 'Get the fcuk out of my chair' when I just sat down for 2 minutes while he was watching the SC2 players. And dancing around talking about how he had a great time drinking last night. lol?

Comment

The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals - Page 16 - League of Legends Community

Originally posted by MF ScREAM RAZER
            most of the counter strike teams all filed complaints to the ACCC and last they heard they were investigating it. They didnt get any cash or prizes still from sydney.
            Hopefully see some punishment handed out after the investigaiton.

Comment

Going to dig up the gems so this stuff gets some more coverage.

The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals - Page 9 - League of Legends Community
              Originally posted by SQL TtRusty
              Shameless bump.

For the organizational **** storm team SQL didn't even have accommodation.
              My apologies for having you verse us but theoretically speaking you said yourself you weren't practiced.

and in any case in my opinion the two best teams should be competing in the finals, i find no way to not sound rude but that was SQL and Fray on the day.

I await some Riot love for this post.

Comment

Different perspective on events:

The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals - Page 13 - League of Legends Community

Originally posted by yons
                One of the companies who was meant to be providing computers for the event ran into difficulties two weeks before the event was to start. There was going to be 25 PCs provided.
                However we must thank Team Immunity for providing us with 14 PCs so that we could continue with the event. Also a major sponser has not paid TSL any of the money for the event for Australians, and has also halved the amount they have paid to other nations.
                TSL used their own money (AUD$150,000) to ensure the event was run at all. This is why information regarding the flights was delayed as they were still obtaining funds to ensure players did not need to pay for their own flights and accomidation. This is not 100% TSLs fault as stuff does go wrong with large scale events such as these. E-Sports in Australia is still in it's infantcy, and needs time to grow.
                People like myself who volunteed to help, worked with sponsers and TSL to make sure the event was run properly. I agree the tournament was not run 100% as we all would have liked, however we made do with what we had. End of the day, we're all human and make mistakes.
                Wonder if the major sponsor that hasn't paid up for Australia and halved funding in other countries is Riot?

Comment

Originally posted by yons View Post
                  E-Sports in Australia is still in it's infantcy, and needs time to grow.
                  That's a 10 year old broken record. E-sports in Australia isn't going to grow as long as events keep getting run by inexperienced organisations and marketed only to the people already involved in the scene.

Comment

That worst than the most disorganised PCO I've dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                      That's a 10 year old broken record. E-sports in Australia isn't going to grow as long as events keep getting run by inexperienced organisations and marketed only to the people already involved in the scene.
                      haha, I think they said the same thing in 2003 when we were doing it. Although I thought the 2003 one was pretty slick, they even had everglide mouse pads at one point...

Comment

One of my mates plays in SQL. I'll ask him for the goss.

Comment

The tragedy that was WCG Australia LoL Nationals - Page 24 - League of Legends Community

Originally posted by SQL TtDale
                          Would you also believe when me and several other LoL teams were waiting for our matches to begin (asked to arrive at 10am and played at about 2:30pm, so 4 and a half hours essentially wasted) and a worker was changing the speakers in the WCG booth. One of us (I believe it was a LoL player) were watching him do it out of pure boredom and the worker literally turned and looked at the player and said "what the **** are you looking at nerd?". I'm not even kidding, and this employee will be keeping his job with not a single consequence.

Comment

those everglide mousepads were awesome I think I still have mine

Comment

Working...
                            X