Latency fix for wow - Registry Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latency fix for wow - Registry Hack

I have yet to test this, and will test it after the servers are up again, but from what Baalzaman from Blackrock server has said, this has fixed up his latency on Blackrock by quite alot, many people on the threat on the WoW forums are saying its working and yet to see for my self. Interesting...

To get low pings with 2 simple registry hacks do the following (you need to do both settings for the maximum effect)

1 - TcpAckFrequency - NOTE if you are running Windows Vista this setting may not have any effect - a hotfix is needed which i'm tracking down (can anyone point me the right way?). This works fine under Windows XP

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed in there, find the one you use to connect to the internet, there will be several interfaces listed (they have long names like {7DBA6DCA-FFE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8383}. Click each one, the right one will have lots of settings in it and you will see your machines IP address listed there somewhere. Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TcpAckFrequency, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

you can change it back to 2 (default) at a later stage if it affects your other TCP application performance. it tells windows how many TCP packets to wait before sending ACK. if the value is 1, windows will send ACK every time it receives a TCP package.

2 - TCPNoDelay
    This one is pretty simple

info here: Microsoft Corporation

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers

Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

[EDIT] Some people it seems don't have a MSMQ entry in their registry. You will need to add it, to do this the simplest way is to copy/paste the below code into a empty text file, and save it as a .reg file (just call it msmq.reg). Once done right click the file and select MERGE and click yes to the box that follows.

******snip below******

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers]
    "TCPNoDelay"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers\OCMsetup]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers\Security]
    "SecureDSCommunication"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers\setup]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Setup]

******snip above******

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC.

Post results below

Baalzaman - location NEW ZEALAND
    Before: 400-450ms in Shatt
    After: 230ms average

Apparently playing with these settings in XP can screw with normal internet speeds...

Comment

I've read that making those changes ****s with regular downloads, especially large ones.
      Corrupt files and all that.

Comment

I tried it, no difference at all so far, think I mighta done something wrong

Comment

Originally posted by NewbiTLorD View Post
          I tried it, no difference at all so far, think I mighta done something wrong
          you mean apart from using a registry hack that ruins your internets?

Comment

i dont get it, how would changing registery entries change our position on the globe? or speed up the internet? or slow down time?

only way i can see to lower latency for wow is ISP/server side stuff.

Comment

For all the data you're sending there's extra information being sent around also. Basic housekeeping stuff to make sure your internets is going to come together properly.

It changes the frequency of protocol overheads. More overheads means there's more data to transfer however requests and responses are sent more often hence the potential better latency.

Comment

Scam software. Does more bad than good

Comment

Think this is similar, could possibly be the same thing;

Leatrix Latency Fix : WoW Tools & Utilities : WoWInterface AddOns

But this one allows you to enable and disable it as you please automatically. It actually did improve my latency by around 90ms (no thats not my actual latency xD) so better than nothing. Haven't noticed any effect on my browsing or downloading either. Make sure you read the FAQ. Check it out, I did and I'm happy. Won't hurt to try

Comment

Working...
                  X