No announcement yet.

Computer games being blamed for school stabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha private school detentions - practically every goddamned one of my friday afternoons through year 8 was spent in detention. goddamned english teacher had it in for me purely because i noted he was shorter than a smuf on day 1 ><

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
      The big question you should be asking yourself regarding punishment is how do you change an adults behavior?

You're more annoying than Paris Hilton. Much more.

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
        The big question you should be asking yourself regarding punishment is how do you change an adults behavior?
        How do we change yours?

Comment

Actually divide by zero is undefined.

Their are two issues being discussed here. One about the punishment or lack of punishment of grown adults to their offspring. The other being the punishment regarding the kid stabbing another kid in the school yard. So my former comment was regarding the punishment of kids by adults not the punishment of the kid who stab the other kid. Either way, under the law he can not be prosecuted as an adult, but will have the major stigma over his head for the rest of his life regarding the matter and the media publicity.

Regarding the discussion of how best to punish children, its just the reflection of society during this time. My own person opinion is that children should be sent to mine Iron ore in the far outback reaches of Australia, to setup new colones founded on the true Australian spirit.

Dec: 11

Comment

Batshit.

Comment

Ha that counts for a extra post!

Comment

Also made page 3! yes....

Comment

Comment

I think that's the look on Recoils face when he will wake up in the morning, have a cup of coffee. Turn on his machine, and read my fablous post, inspire in him a new way to look at life. Place his head into the microwave and say "Please let the pain stop".

Though I think that Paladin has wanted to put my head into the Microwave ever since joining GamersUnderground. Although I consider it a public service to make sure that you guys stress levels or insainty levels reach new hights.

So before I depart to wonder land, I leave you with a fascinating number to contimplate the meaning of life and everything.

Comment

I don't know which is worse. Your spelling or your "wit".

You're driving nobody insane but yourself!

Comment

I also don't disagree with the odd smack for discipline in some circumstances, if you can remain calm and controlled during the process.

However, is a "violent" response really the way to teach a child that violence is wrong? Surely that sends some pretty mixed messages.

Comment

Smacking is fine, the whole "no need to hurt the child" is bullshit. You aren't supposed to be inflicting injuries, if you are hitting hard enough to injure the kid then that's child abuse. A slap on the ass or leg is not going to do any damage at all and the kid learns quicksmart not to do it again.

When I was growing up a lot of shit I would have done otherwise I chose not to do because I knew if I did I'd get my ass kicked. If was at the age of not knowing better beyond "mum and dad said not to" in today's society you bet your ass I'd have done so much messed up stuff because I knew there was no consequences.

I'm thankful my parents had the balls to be parents and not my fucking buddy that tells me everything I do is OK, it's not my fault.

Comment

I used to have a wild temper in early primary school but getting the cane a few times soon calmed me down.
                            These days I would have been doped up as an ADD kid and likely flipping buggers at maccas for living by now.

Comment

dont worry, now adhd can be diagnosed by a computer.

ADHD

Comment

Good to see the discussion is back on topic... no thanks to chad and his irrelevant babble.

But I noticed nobody's mentioned the games being blamed part? I can imagine that discussion has been had many a time on these forums before... but I think an average 13 year old would have no problems separating the sometimes unrealistic effects of violence in computer games from violence in real life. I think what pete said is partially true - that kids often don't understand or don't consider the consequences of their actions - but not in this case. Kids hurt each other all the time in school, and in the other situations where they've brought weapons to school, other kids might end up with some cuts or bruises, or a broken bone or two.

If the 13 year old just wanted to teach Elliot a lesson, that's what the result would have been. But this kid obviously had intent to kill. He would have had to stab in the right area, with the right amount of force in order to cause death. Any video game would show that stabbing someone results in death, and few allow the players to calculate these factors with the degree of accuracy that would have been required in this case. Who knows why the kid did what he did. He might have been in a rage about something. He might have been provoked. But either way, there is no way he wouldn't have known that death could have been a consequence, and there is no way that video games taught him that Elliot was likely to have survived it.

Comment

Working...
                                X