No announcement yet.

Hand pulled noodles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job chad. Surprisingly I've been doing thermal validation on flour in the last few weeks at work.
    My supervisor says Rice flour generally has between 5-8% and Soy flour generally has between 10-14% protein. I would put a warning myself on rice flour though, most manufactures mill it into a powder that is very fine and quite annoying to play around with.

Comment

Agreed psyave. I'm still a bit confused that 'why' did the American cake flour work so well? Most receipe's i've seen all use cake flour, and then mixed with 25grams of all purpose plain flour. I'm more tempted to stay close to the source of Chinese recommendation of flour than American flour. The biggest problem with American flour is considering all the extra proccessing they do to their food products. Though Chinese manufactores are no better (could be worse) considering they have (gluten injectors) for their flour mills.

Either way, will give the pastry, 12% flour a go tomorrow and see how either one of them turn out. Anyone wants to come over for noodles?

Comment

Bit exhausted today, Tried the pastery, 12% protein flours turned out shit. Restorted to using just simply the plain bleached flour and by the time I got it to pulling I was exhausted from attempting to get the other dough's to pulling quality.

Though, when I attempt it again I will proably use the plain bleached flour 10.9% protein and more lye water. This should give a better turn around time. Though preparing the dough for pulling is the hardest part. Though but you're looking at a turn around time of 5 minutes to create the dough. 1hr letting the dough rest. Then 20-30 minutes preparing the dough for being pulled.

Pizza dough, and bread dough is sooo much easier to make

Comment

Well, no wonder it was hard a hell......

"Another reason for the addition of kansui (lye water, baking powder) is to toughen the protein in wheat flour so that the resulting
          noodles are firmer, more elastic and springy texture and less sticky when cooked. The addition of Kansui (lye water, baking powder)
          allows the use of lower protein (and therefore less expensive) wheat flour to make noodles with the quality
          one would expect of noodles made with superior quality flour with higher protein levels."

You can use plain flour 10.9% protein and you will be okay let the dough rest for 4hrs. For lower protein you use Kansui to add texture and also to make the dough more firmer, more elastic.

Comment

The secret ingredient is lye water or kansui, not baking powder,baking soda, or bicarb like some web site suggest.

Apply the kansui (1% of total dough weight) after leaving the dough to rest and it will make the dough 10x easier to pull. My mistake was that I added it during the mixing of the ingredients, thus making trying to pull it after 20 minutes resulted in the dough ripping apart.

If anyone is interested here is the complete write up:
            dough - What flour and technique do I need for hand pulled noodles? - Cooking - Stack Exchange

Now onto making dumplings!

Comment

Working...
            X