Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Minorci View Post
    Surely unfair dismissal?
    not when you and 49 others are casual big companies care not to cut down on their product costs but prefer to focus on the easier solution get rid of the casual staff (even though we work more hours then the full time staff).

Comment

I've lived in Darwin so long now that I can't remember what it's like to live in a city where there's more jobs than people

Comment

Originally posted by chaosengine View Post
        not when you and 49 others are casual big companies care not to cut down on their product costs but prefer to focus on the easier solution get rid of the casual staff (even though we work more hours then the full time staff).
        If you have worked 6 continuous months at full time hours as a casual then you are entitled to the same rights as a permanent.

Comment

Before the thread is closed... and not trying to villainise anybody. The work laws (as they are now and have been in the past) are never quiet clear cut. There's opportunity for both employers and employees to be dicks. Centrelink is there as an office to arrange direct public related compensation funding (not just unemployment benefits). My problem isn't with people who genuinely try and make their life better, and are on hard times. Hell, I'm glad a service like that exists. But the problem is for people who abuse the system, like there is anywhere.

As far as the original question goes... so long as you can provide sufficient evidence to there being problems with receiving notification then you'll be fine.

On the comments on Chaos and Cryo, both have valid points, but also make some generalisations that simply don't apply to everybody much the same way as saying all centrelink users are dole bludgers (just not true).

Believe me when I say, generally speaking, no company WANTS to reduce staff, especially these days in light of work relations and laws. In fact, it's now so difficult compared to just ten years ago, more often it's the last result.

As an employer who brings in both full time and casual workers the employer with us had the choice of either type of employment (pretty rare) and in our industry, boilermakers, welders and labourers would often choose casual.

When it comes time to reduce staff numbers (and it's always the last thing we want to do) the casual staff do go first. It's the smart business thing to do. As casual workers you've paid significantly more in the weekly pocket (sacrificed for other benefits) as you usually don't accrue leave, super and various other 'bonus's'. Basically you get this in pocket instead. What you sacrifice is overtime rates as far as the weekly wage goes... but often you'll take home much more then your average full time worker per weak.

However, the benifit for both the employer is you can leave any time you like. Basically you can terminate with zero notice, and often it's at the detriment of the business (in this case not however).

There are now significant new benefits for the casual employee these days, and while you now have some shared rights, the basics still apply. An employer can still fire you with little notice (I believe it's two weeks after six months), though I may be wrong on that aspect. Short of that it doesn't have any other rights that they really share. EDIT: In addition to that the employee has the right to request full time employment but it's not required by law to supply it.

EDIT:
          Unfair dismissal and unlawful termination

The Workplace Relations Act contains provisions protecting employees from losing their job unfairly (unfair dismissal) or because of a prohibited reason (unlawful termination).The unfair dismissal provisions provide employees with protection from harsh, unjust or unreasonable dismissal. However, the following types of employees are excluded from the unfair dismissal protections:
          • employees employed by businesses with 100 or fewer employees
          • employees who are dismissed for genuine operational reasons
          • seasonal workers.
          • employees engaged for a specified period of time or to perform a particular task
          • employees serving a six month qualifying period
          • employees on probation
          • casual workers engaged for a short period
          • trainees
          • employees who are not employed under an award or workplace agreement and earn more than $101 300 a year.
          Last edited by Kagetsu; 28-11-11, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryodeath View Post
            If you have worked 6 continuous months at full time hours as a casual then you are entitled to the same rights as a permanent.
            hahaahahaha you do make me laugh mate... There are so many loop holes for them not to put someone full time it is crazy. It is ONCE you are full time it is harder to get rid of you but as a casual in the factory environment you can read the law as much as you want but it will not change the industry.

Comment

I think there is a 6 year period where you have to put in a unfair dismissal claim. Just put one in and see how you go.

I was working a casual job on the weekend at university, had rent assist from centerlink and study assist payments. I had 32 contact hours per week and about the same amount in study. Without centerlink I wouldn't have been able to survive properly at Uni.

As for the centerlink bums, hasn't the rate of call ins to report cheater increased since the Vic bushfires and recent floods? I think people are taking a better stance on calling out mates for wrong doings. I personally think we have our welfare system pretty well balanced, all you need to do is go see America. If you want a job free life, just have as many kids as you can and feed them fuck all.

If we really wanted to change the system for better use, you should have to submit a drug test every 3 months to acquire centerlink. But this probably invades civil liberties or something...

---
              I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.119557,-115.168702

Comment

Working...
              X