No announcement yet.

PC Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok well this is embargoing, it froze again. The only thing in even log coming around that time was a dns error for the usb wifi card, and then the kernel error because i had to hold the power button down. She was moving data around from the usb drives this time, her video editing program was open but it had only been opened but a project had not been opened within it.

I cleaned the pc, rescanned the ram sticks (individually this time), scanned the old usb hard drive that was plugged in (still got one usb hard drive to check, its not as old, and it's 1tb), and nothing came up with errors.

It wouldn't have overheated, it hadn't been on log. Mind you I couldn't tell she closed fanspeed on startup. It happens so intermittently that I can't just take a part out for a day and say hey look its working now, because it would have done that anyway in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritzo90 View Post
      Ok well this is embargoing, it froze again. The only thing in even log coming around that time was a dns error for the usb wifi card, and then the kernel error because i had to hold the power button down. She was moving data around from the usb drives this time, her video editing program was open but it had only been opened but a project had not been opened within it.

I cleaned the pc, rescanned the ram sticks (individually this time), scanned the old usb hard drive that was plugged in (still got one usb hard drive to check, its not as old, and it's 1tb), and nothing came up with errors.

It wouldn't have overheated, it hadn't been on log. Mind you I couldn't tell she closed fanspeed on startup. It happens so intermittently that I can't just take a part out for a day and say hey look its working now, because it would have done that anyway in most cases.
      Have you tried checking the interity of the OS files, some system files may be corrupted? run a chkdsk at startup? update drivers?

For the overheating thing, is there any bios setting you can set so if the cpu goes over a certain temp it would start to beep etc? At least that will help ya if your not around and she just says it was beeping.

Comment

It was rebooting really bad on xp so I installed win 7 ultimate. Now it will just freeze. Ummm I have not updated the drivers on the mother board, but I have done so for the video card. It shouldn't be drivers because its only just started happening.

I turned the bios cpu temp monitor down to 60c warning. Hasn't triggered yet.

It's got to be hardware I think, anyway to test the CPU other than for over heating?

Comment

you could launch the cpu into a steel wall at 60kph via compressed gas. Mainly a test for cars but it might tell you something interesting about your CPU too.

Comment

Ah but do I freeze it first or not? This was the mistake that they made with frozen chickens and testing air plane cockpit windscreens.

Comment

oo good point. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Ritzo90 View Post
                It was rebooting really bad on xp so I installed win 7 ultimate. Now it will just freeze. Ummm I have not updated the drivers on the mother board, but I have done so for the video card. It shouldn't be drivers because its only just started happening.

I turned the bios cpu temp monitor down to 60c warning. Hasn't triggered yet.

It's got to be hardware I think, anyway to test the CPU other than for over heating?
                Best to have a program that will create a txt file when the cpu goes above a set temp.

Comment

Working...
                X