iOS 5 is winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iTunes Match: more winning...

"In the fall, Apple will launch its iCloud service for Macs and iOS devices. It includes two iTunes-related services: free access to previously purchased songs via any authorized device, as well as a $25 per year option to store up to 25,000 songs in iCloud. The latter feature, dubbed iTunes Match, will scan a user's library and give immediate iCloud access to any song that "matches" a corresponding track in the iTunes Store library. Songs that don't match will be uploaded to a user's iCloud storage.

The benefit of iTunes Match over competing services from Amazon and Google is that users with libraries that consist of the most popular content will only have to upload a small percentage of music. This makes the process much faster than uploading each and every track, especially given the relatively anemic upload speeds available to most US broadband users. The US iTunes Store boasts over 18 million tracks, so if your tastes don't depend heavily on obscure, independent, or foreign music, there's a good chance that a significant proportion of your library will match up."

There are paranoid concerns that Apple will like, reveal that data to labels or use it personally to attack its users.

On that topic, Chicago-based intellectual property attorney Evan Brown says "opacity will go a long way toward protecting users from anti-piracy snooping, and being the targets of subpoenas. The opacity of one's collection, plus the good faith hope that Apple will abide by its own privacy policies should give reasonable assurances of safety, even if there may be a few tracks up there with questionable provenances."

Ask Ars: will iTunes Match be used to chase down music pirates?

Comment

who the fuck is still buying music from the internet?

Comment

I've only just started, after about a decade of pirating (or once upon a time buying CDs). It's just too cheap and convenient not to. Which is the same reason I now buy games (thanks, Steam!).

E.g. I'm on the train and I realise -BAND NAME HERE- have just released a new album. 10-15 dollars and 30 seconds later; I'm listening to it.

Comment

bought some albums for my mum on itunes and couldn't believe how bs the pricing is
          the itunes albums ended up costing me more for the digital copy than a physical copy costs at the big chains. its a ripoff.

Comment

Not sure which albums you were buying, I've never experienced that. It's always in the vicinity of 35-75% of the retail disc price.

Comment

Yeah, Apple are awesome.

Comment

Sif trust Apple with your email account

Comment

You have to question the intelligence of anyone using a MobileMe account for anything except Find My iPhone anyway.

Comment

Anyone know of a decent email app besides the stock one. Even better if it utilize gmail and sends push notifications.

Comment

Are you talking about the iPhone? There is only one mail app - the one it comes with.

It already utilises Gmail, and it already does push.

Just add your Gmail as an Exchange account.

Comment

yeh, I have a problem where I have emails in my gmail inbox from say a month ago... but the email app on the iphone only displays emails from say 3-4 days old and then they disappear if they are older than that.

Comment

Config->Settings->Mail->GmailAccountYouWant->Mail Days to Sync

/tips hat - "You're Welcome".

Comment

if your using exchange you can search your exchange mailbox

when i say message tone I want to insert my own premade sms tone

i want my own not the crappy ones that come with it.

apparently mobile me is a great way to keep an eye on employees / kids / partners ROFL

Comment

Beta 4 out now. If you have Beta 3, you can update the firmware over-the-air from your phone now: Settings > General > Software Update

iTunes Wi-Fi Sync enabled on Windows now too.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                                iTunes Wi-Fi Sync enabled on Windows now too.
                                so they now have it to the same stage as that app they knocked off?

Comment

Working...
                                X