No announcement yet.

Korn Does Pink Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because Collingwood is a suburb of Melbourne doesn't mean they're all like that?

Comment

Well I'm from melb, and I liked it... its one of the better pink floyd covers I've heard. marylin manson did another good one.

rec: nah collingwood has gone all trendy its really ****ing annoying.

Comment

Manson's wasn't bad; but was missing oomph.

Comment

Originally posted by Korny View Post
          rofl, sorry jimmy if you lived somewhere besides Melbourne I would of taken offence to being called a Darwin bogan.

Melbourne the True bogan city of AUS

This is gold, considering my latest Facebook update and Korny's reply:

Originally posted by Jamie Skella
          Jamie got $80 worth of free French food and Marlborough white last night, and free cofee and bacon egg rolls this morning. The planets have aligned.
          Originally posted by John Korn
          lol $80 of french food ? YUCK

i would of given it back and asked for a big chunk of steak

Comment

Korn may not be your thing and thats fine, but it was a good cover, even if you fags don't like it.

and Covering songs is a mark of serious respect in the music world. when other bands play your songs to their crowd its great compliment.

Comment

Fags!? Classy...

So, because we appreciate ACTUALLY music rather than random thrash bullshit played loud and fast to appease a crowd we're fags?

Good cover:

Bad cover:

See first post.

Comment

I think the main thing some of you are failing to see in this covers argument is that music is a matter of taste, and you can't really argue about taste. At the end of the day, everyone here who I've seen posting negative remarks are most likely not metal fans... am I right? If you don't really like metal, then you're definitely not going to like a cover by a metal band... especially if it's a song by a band you greatly respect.

I've always been a fan of Davies' vocals, even though he's a whinging, whining fool. I was also a fan of Korn when they released their first album, I thought they were really original at the time. Having said all of that, they're terrible musicians... so maybe I just had low expectations in the first place.

OD's argument about "actual" music is a bit of a worry and calling metal "random thrash bullshit" is dangerous, considering most musicians in metal bands are far superior technically than most other bands (obviously the band in the limelight here are an exception!). Sure, there are many one dimensional metal bands out there... but there are some absolutely superior bands who can do a lot more than just play fast. Check out Between the Buried and Me. They're considered Metalcore/Hardcore... but they're more Prog Melodic Death. The released an entire album of covers, with songs from bands like Queen and King Crimson... all the way through to Metallica and Sepultura. Bands like Dream Theater do live set covers of ENTIRE ALBUMS from START TO FINISH, and even rewrite certain parts to suit the differing instruments. A vast majority of bands are incapable of being able to perform covers across such a large genre span. But once again, this is my opinion because I value playing skill in bands... being a musician myself.

So we then enter the argument of bad/good cover. At the end of the day, it's down to taste... and if part of your "taste" involves appreciation for the musicians skill... then we get back to the undeniable point of - you can't argue about subjects which involve taste. There are too many factors and unquantifiable variables.

Ok. After babbling on about metal, here's the latest cover I've been listening too... which is so far from metal it's not funny. Check out the version on the triple J website... from like a version. It's better than the one below... although the one below is still great. This bird has a FANTASTIC voice... and I'm not a female vocalist fan AT ALL. Of my hundreds of CDs, probably 3 feature female vocalists.

Comment

Re: Korn Does Pink Floyd

I didn't think I was denegrating a genre but the clip in post 1 - but hey, generalising is a dangerous thing...

Comment

Thrash is probably the most flooded genre in metal, that's all. So yeah... using that term didn't work out so well... lol

;D

Edit: Man that Sia cover is wicked. Can't get it out of my head.

Comment

Well written Inferno

I actually didnt mind that cover ( I saw Korn at the Big Day out in the 90's and I enjoyed the show although I am not a huge fan of Nu-Metal) and I would challenge anyone who knows me not to call me a Floyd fan.
                      Covers are something that many bands do as a sign of respect for artists that have had a massive influence on them. Plenty of Metal bands listen to a wide variety of music and Floyd is one of the more common bands that tend to pop up.
                      There are plenty of bad covers out there and plenty of good, however what is bad or good will likely be the opinion of the listener.
                      For example I love Megadeth's cover of Anarchy, Motley Crues Helter Skelter, Metallica have done heaps of awesome covers and come to think of it I really like RATM's Renegades album although many probably consider them shit.

I will say however to anyone who thinks Heavy Metal is shit that they just don't get it and with an attitude like that probably never will and it is their loss.
                      Heavy Metal fans are generally used to people giving them shit and that is a large reason why the Heavy Metal scene is so strong and still growing. One thing I doubt you would hear too many people say is "Yeah, I went through a Slayer stage once" Heavy Metal fans tend to stay Heavy Metal fans

I love Heavy Metal but strangely enough I also love music from many other genre's.
                      I generally just go by what I feel like listening to at that moment.
                      To name a few artists I have listened to in the past month

Lamb of God
                      Maroon (not Maroon 5 btw although It cracks me up to think of people buying them by accident)
                      Gojira
                      Slayer
                      System of a Down
                      Devil Driver
                      Gallows (Grey Britain is an awesome Pommy Punk album dripping with attitude and heavy as F&#K)
                      Radiohead
                      Nick Cave
                      Black Keys
                      Sigur Ros
                      PJ Harvey
                      Gutter Twins (Mark Lanegan)
                      Sufjan Stevans
                      Queen of the Stoneage
                      Lemongrass
                      Enigma
                      TV on the Radio
                      Cream
                      David Bowie
                      A Mountain of One
                      Thievery Corporation
                      Unkle
                      DJ Shadow
                      Napoli is not Nepal
                      Black Grass
                      Pearl Jam
                      Alice in Chains

List could go on and on and on

Key point is that it is your opinion, which your entitled too.
                      I prefer to stay open minded and continue to enjoy expanding my musical horizons. I have even begun to accumulate a few Jazz CD's. (any suggestions?)

Hopefully, going to plan, I will get to see Lamb of God, DevilDriver and Shadowsfall in December

anyway here are 3 different Music clips by the same guy (Devin Townsend, diff bands all led by him) that are all drastically different

Peace Out
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bitter Blood on the blood-stained highway
                      We're brothers in arms 'til we get it right
                      You're gonna want it your way
                      It's gonna be done now
                      Don't take it too far, gonna get it right
                      Move on from the past
                      Agree to disagree

They pray for villains
                      When their heroes let them down
                      They pray for villains
                      When their heroes let them down
                      Let them down!

Devildriver Pray for Villains

Comment

I don't analyse music; I just listen to it if i enjoy it.
                        Everyone elses opinions don't really matter

Comment

Sums it up really...

(Unless it's MY opinion then everyone else is wrong )

Comment

Zomg Devin Townsend ****ing rules. I've tried to get rec into him many a time. So good.

Love Gojira too (as well as others you've mentioned - literally just stumbled across Gojira a month or two back). Man does their new album slay.

Jazz? Well it depends what you like. The lines of Jazz are a bit iffy. My suggestions to get you started are:

Miles Davis (of course)
                            John Coltrane
                            Thelonious Monk
                            Keith Jarrett (live @ Koln is my fav)
                            Kurt Elling
                            Weather Report (crazy shit)

If you're after some jazz metal (I know you are):
                            Cynic
                            Candiria (older stuff... might be weird because they also do hardcore and rap, as well as jazz!)
                            Alarum (Melbourne boys... basically Cynic clones)
                            ...can't think of anymore right now.

Have a listen to Between the Buried and Me man... they might be a bit brutal by the looks of your list, but see how you go.

Comment

Originally posted by OverDrive View Post
                              Sums it up really...

(Unless it's MY opinion then everyone else is wrong )
                              My ears are always open to your pursuasion.

Comment

They are on my to do list
                                Doubt they are too brutal for me

Have you heard any Leng Tch'e or blood red throne?

also just picked these guys up a few weeks ago

Heaven shall burn came out of my car stereo to make way for Maroon and also got some emperor recently.

recomend away

----------------------------------------------------------------

All that they needed was
                                A pretext, war's next
                                Heads to the chopping blocks
                                And our necks are next
                                For those we died
                                Who fought for our rights
                                Whose children now slaves
                                They're turning in their graves

War hawks and senators
                                They sit tight, so trite
                                Never their sons will know
                                What it's like to fight