Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Island - Review

I don't normally do this type of thing; but here goes:

I've been looking forward to this game for a while now; as zombies are right up my alley. Hopes abound of smashing heads while having an at least semi-realistic touch of survival game play thrown in.

After getting past the initial prologue of waking up in your hotel and getting your bearings, you will find yourself pretty much thrown into the deep end. As expected, Zombies aren't far away and your only weapons are what are around you. Paddles and Oars on the beach, planks of wood or the occasional broom handle. These do their job reasonably effectively, with the ability to kick zombies back from you should they get a little too close. Weapons have durability and you will probably be surprised at just how fast they will degrade. Without exaggeration, I had one break after killing 5 zombies. Fortunately, they generally aren't in short supply. Also, do not expect to find guns. I am a few chapters into Act 2 and I've found my first pistol.

There is also an RPG element to the weapons. To borrow the naming convention from WoW (purely for reference); there are common (white), uncommon (green), superior (blue) and legendary (orange) weapons. Fans of Dead Rising will find that the method for upgrading and modding, as well as creating (through items found via scavenging) is done through a workbench found in key areas of the levels. This costs money which is found through-out the game. All items have so far been able to be upgraded through the workbench (a total of 3 times, with compounding cost). Weapons can also be repaired at the workbench, so you don't have to constantly replace them. The character I am playing (Logan) also has a talent that reduces wear and tear on weapons, which also saves on repair costs. Handy!

Combat is fairly straight forward. You can either spam melee attacks, while kicking back zombies, or go for a more agile approach and dodge incoming attacks, smacking them in the back of the head afterward. It sounds fairly simple and it is; however it's surprisingly rewarding and still manages to be challenging with three or four zombies to dispatch at once. Each of the four playable characters (Logan, Sam B,?Purna and Xian Mei)have their own area of specialty: Thrown, Blunt, Firearms and Edged weapons (respectively). Some special zombies have exploitable mechanics. The 'Rams' (guess what they do) cant fit through doors, so it's possible to make them charge at you while you just stand there smacking them from behind the safety of a pine door frame.

Game-play is akin to Dead Rising 2 with mission's based out of safe areas, taking place around the game world and broken up into separate 'Acts'. Said missions are not overly complex however they have thus far remained interesting. There have been no 'wow' moments as yet; but also nothing that has bored me to tears, with the bulk mostly involving getting from point x to point y; recovering x item; and talking to x person.

After spending about 20 minutes trying to establish a connection, I managed to spend a couple of hours in Co-op mode with forum resident Heretic and it was really quite fun, except for the fact only the Host has any mission completion counted (the client gets boned). This is probably a blessing however, given the annoyance of co-op in games such as Borderlands and characters not being on the same progression point. You will also find that as you play, the game will find players that match your story progression, level and location; giving you the option to join them. I advise turning your game to private (LAN) if you don't want unexpected guests.

Graphics wise I can't really give a judgement. This is mostly due to my machine having trouble running it (for some reason). I was disappointed to find very little configurable variables in the games menu's. I will go out on a limb however and say that there will be ini tweaks floating around soon (if not already). With that in mind, it is still obvious that a lot of time has gone into designing the environments. Not only do they look good, but more importantly they play well.

The Sound. This is probably where the game falls down. The voice acting is nothing spectacular. In my opinion it's on the same level as the latest Dues Ex. Some characters will make you cringe (ahem, the 'Aussie' Purna), and most will be purely uninteresting. The Zombies sound as you'd expect; however I found one zombie type in particular to be extremely annoying - the 'Thug' who screams at you every 5 seconds regardless of your proximity. The games sound-track or lack-there-of is disappointing. Those of you who have seen the marketing videos featuring Sam B's rap song "Who do you voodoo, bitch?" will be disappointed to find this is the height of in-game music.

If I had to throw a score at the game, I'd probably give it an 8/10. Keeping in mind I have yet to complete it.
    That's it for now; I might post more as I get further into the game.

deus ex*

Hmm well that makes me more keen to play it for the zombie smashing fun, but less keen cos of the co-op, i was hoping it was like borderlands with a hop in and out to gain EXP as needed...

Comment

You can definitely still hop in and out and get xp and loot. It just means you can't complete (or even start) the story, as the client. You kinda just run around as a helper to the Host.

Comment

Played for bout an hour and a half, seems a lot like farcry 2 IMO, zombies respawn after u leave a section, the weapons degrade pretty fast, but u get enough of them to not matter i spose.

its a little strange that there isnt a single gun early on in the game, the combat is nice enough but seems tedious at times, VS a thug for instance, trapped him in a pool, walk up Smack in the head step back to avoid the rage, rince and repeat.

hopeing it gets better or at the very least co-op makes it more fun

lol do love kicking the zombies in the arse as they bend over to stand up that was gold, bitch went head first into a wall

you had any issues with what feels like a memory leak? after bout 30 minutes it starts to run like a dog.

Comment

got my first gun 2 hours in, from a side quest revolver cant use it till lvl 10 tho

Comment

Yeah Ive heard there are actually guns lying around, just a little hard to find.

And yeah - after an hour or two mine was using 1.8gb of memory

Comment

If anyone is still after a copy of this, i picked it up for $33 on greenmangaming this morning using this code to give an extra 10% off (it's already 15% off) - READY-UPDEA-ISLAN - also probably only another 20 minutes before they ditch the preorder discount.
              Last edited by chips; 09-09-11, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chips View Post
                If anyone is still after a copy of this, i picked it up for $33 on greenmangaming this morning using this code to give an extra 10% off (it's already 15% off) - READY-UPDEA-ISLAN - also probably only another 20 minutes before they ditch the preorder discount.
                Oh FFS, there Zendesk is playing havoc with my Card...
                Sorry, but it seems that you are not authorised to use this card. If you believe it is an error, please raise a support ticket through our ZENDESK. and quote the following reference number: 012

Comment

Dead Island Crashes, Freezes, Stuttering, Lag, Sound, Errors and Fixes | SegmentNext

Config stuff for anyone that might need it.

Comment

mate of mine playing on PC rekons if you play it with a controller using analogue mode its 100% better game play, apparently you have more control of where you throw items and you can actually aim your slashes with weapons.

Comment

I just bought it using Greengaming for $13.51 AUD using those codes and credit I had on there for a game they buggered up and credited me back for but left the game for me hahaha!

Comment

Well 7hrs in and no reply from there support desk...ho hum

Comment

From what I've read with Greengaming they've run out of keys so will apparently release more within 3 days of purchase.

Grrr..

Comment

wow hard luck man. I bought it at lunchtime from GMG and got the key right away.

Comment

FOV fix.

Dead Island FOV fix. : gaming

Notes:
                              - open Data0.pak (located in your game's folder within Steam's folder) with WinRAR and extract defaul
                              - <prop n="CameraDefaultFOV" v="90"/>

As I have never created a Steam forum account before and it apparently takes them a fucking life time to activate your account, I thought I would try this, and hope Reddit comes through for me.

There have been people claiming to have a FOV fix that involves hex editing some *.dll files which is a big no-no for VAC, which can result in you being banned, there is a much easier way to edit the CameraDefaultFOV cvar located in Data0.pak/Data/Skills/default_levels.xml

To do so, simply extract the file, locate your Dead Island folder in your user's documents folder, where your audio and video settings are already saved, and create a "Data" folder, a "Skills" subfolder, and place the default_levels.xml in the skills sub folder. Open the file, edit away.

Screenshots:

90 degree FOV: http://i.imgur.com/ZG9pe.jpg

62.5 (default) FOV: http://i.imgur.com/w8H3e.jpg

If any of you could be so kind as to xpost this to:

Dead Island - Steam Users' Forums

For me, I would be thankful. - Charo

To be clear, your DeadIsland folder should have this structure:

DeadIsland

->out

->->data

->->->skills

->->->->default_levels.xml

->->logs

->->settings

Edit: Thanks for the Steam post, Hideous.

Edit #2: With a 90 degree FOV there are some lulz in the view model: http://i.imgur.com/mjj6P.jpg

But overall it looks great: http://i.imgur.com/PCpoO.jpg

People @ the Steam forum are reporting a FOV value of around 82 fixes some of the goofiness. I haven't touched any of the other values found in that file, but it looks like there is a lot you can edit, has anyone tried this on multiplayer yet? Does the host file have to be changed or is your own local change enough? What about those other settings? I saw a lot of values like death penalty, crit modifiers, throw distance, the amount of EXP required per level up, and a whole lot more.

Comment

Working...
                              X