No announcement yet.

steam and v p n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally it's a bad idea to use a gifting account, as that's against their specific terms and conditions of using a fraudulent account. However using a US-based VPN and then buying your games from the US steam store is the way to go. There's a few that offer a free trial VPN service. I used AN I think. Also pick out an address (eg. a hotel/somewhat) at random from the US, using your ip geolocation as a rough guide if you're paranoid.

Comment

well thats pretty much what i did except, i think i forgot to log out of the steam account before i closed the vpn connection = fail.

This is what they sent me back.

Our records indicate that you attempting a purchase with a payment method registered to the United States using an IP Proxy. You will need to continue to make purchases from the Australian storefront using your correct payment method.

In the future, to avoid having your account disabled for fraudulent activity, please enter your address, including the appropriate country, as it is registered to your payment method. Additionally, do not use IP Proxies when purchasing.

Prices in the Steam Store are set on a region by region basis. The price and currency displayed are the set prices for those games based on your location.

We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what can be found at local retailers and online shops.
      I had used a fairly bogus address, and chose state of NY and the NY server for the vpn through AN. Worked the first time but not the second as stated above.

I have responded back saying fair cop, but if and when i travel overseas again how do i purchase from a steam store that is not AUS with my CC if im only allowed to use it in the AUS store.

Probably shouldnt have but told stated it wasnt about the money as it costs US$10 everywhere atm, i just want the full unedited version of the game.

Id ask my mom to help me out as she is the only person i know overseas ( in NZ) but she aint a computer wizard and does not have a pc at home.

Comment

Working...
      X