Space Marine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Marine

Just played the demo of Space marine - graphics aren't super brilliant, but it is definitely fun. controls feel good. guns are suitably powerful. and launching via jet pack into an orc horde creates lovely gibs.

Hope they unlock the demo for everyone else soon

Haha I nearly bought it, but after my manager handed my a stack of reports to write and now I have duex ex and call of juarez to get through.

Comment

skip juarez like the plague...

Comment

Sounds good. Ill definetly be getting it anyway for some co-op action.

Comment

looks like it should be good fun. Squad mates are actually HELPFUL. but yeah, the graphics feel like they were developed on an NTSC TV system - warhammer is either dark and gritty and/or vivid with colour - nfi where they got this washed out palette from.

Comment

oh i forgot to point out, even tho it IS a console port, aside from the graphics and the limit on number of character entities visible at a time (still feels like a lot when they're swarming you), it feels like a PC game. Has all your video config and control options you expect from a PC game - including invert mouse, yay.

also - melee combos - WIN.

Comment

Played the full game for a bit over an hour last night and racked up 566 kills - this is 40K

i love that there is an achievement for killing 40,000 enemies.

you don't notice the slightly sub par level detail and, somehow, i've found myself looking at some terrain pieces and going "wow, that's awesome" - they've lovingly recreated much of the terrain set pieces as seen in White Dwarf magazine. Even the dead imperial guardsmen are scattered about in poses lifted directly from the minatures line

Oh one other cool thing. Getting into the game is super fast, and after that you never see a loadscreen. So either it has a map as big as GTA, or they handle level transitions *really* well. (there are cutscenes so they probably load during these, but you're never left waiting for the game to finish reticulating its splines or some such)

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                Played the full game for a bit over an hour last night and racked up 566 kills - this is 40K

i love that there is an achievement for killing 40,000 enemies.

you don't notice the slightly sub par level detail and, somehow, i've found myself looking at some terrain pieces and going "wow, that's awesome" - they've lovingly recreated much of the terrain set pieces as seen in White Dwarf magazine. Even the dead imperial guardsmen are scattered about in poses lifted directly from the minatures line

Oh one other cool thing. Getting into the game is super fast, and after that you never see a loadscreen. So either it has a map as big as GTA, or they handle level transitions *really* well. (there are cutscenes so they probably load during these, but you're never left waiting for the game to finish reticulating its splines or some such)
                really? i played the demo for about 20 minutes before i was sooo bored i deleted it and decided that ive given up on all warhammer games from that day forth.

Comment

then you were never a fan of warhammer, and you're dead to me ;P

Comment

Killing waves of enemies for hours and hours just isn't fun for me.

I really enjoyed the demo, but the idea of doing that for more than the length of the demo wasn't attractive.

Maybe if it was $25-$35.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                      then you were never a fan of warhammer, and you're dead to me ;P
                      ^ that's pretty accurate really, i like the idea and the lore, never been that much of a fan tho.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                        Killing waves of enemies for hours and hours just isn't fun for me.

I really enjoyed the demo, but the idea of doing that for more than the length of the demo wasn't attractive.
                        err.. so why do you play *any* shooters then? if you boil it down like that, that's what all of them are. Space Marine has an engaging story (as any good FPS should) and is backed up by great gameplay, good voice acting, and some of the best gibs i've ever seen in a shooter (despite the console-level graphics).

also, deploying your devestator in MP is awesome when you first discover you can P2P networking is fail though, although lag wasn't as bad as i expected, it was still annoying.

Comment

Not at all. This employs a truly a wave-based gameplay mechanic. Not many shooters do that, and the ones that do generally bore me to tears; Bulletstorm, Serious Sam and so-forth are snooze fests.

I do enjoy shooters, typically multiplayer, that involve a whole lot more than what is essentially mouse button mashing. I like being challenged by other human individuals or carefully constructed AI scenarios where smarts, tactics, map intelligence, weapon selection, reflexes, accuracy etc. are deciding factors.
                          Last edited by rec; 09-09-11, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                            Not at all. This employs a truly a wave-mode gameplay mechanic.

Besides, I don't play most shooters, especially not ones where my opponent is waves if enemies - Bulletstorm, Serious Sam and so-forth suck balls.

I enjoy shooters, typically multiplayer, that involve a whole lot more than what is essentially mouse button mashing.
                            you seemed to like Left4Dead a fair bit - that has exactly the same enemy mechanic (some stand around, some appear from off map)

re: your MP comments - you're basing your feelings about this game on your desires for an MP experience that you didn't get in an SP demo... gg there man

I like being challenged by other human individuals where smarts, tactics, map intelligence, weapon selection, reflexes, accuracy etc. are deciding factors.
                            ^ all of this is in the MP side.

Comment

Left 4 Dead is equally snoozey. It's great, I guess, for 30 minutes. In fact, Steam says I only have 3.9 hrs on record for L4D2. So I had a good 6-7 play sessions with it.

Lots of single player shooters and other action games have deep, enjoyable gameplay mechanics. Some even sporting some of those same elements mentioned, which aren't always exclusively multiplayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X