HTC Desire and Android experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic! HTC Desire and Android experience

First and foremost, there's too much to write about in one post, so this will be staggered over the next few days.

This is my first experience with an Android handset so please bear with my gushing... but this is amazing.

But first out, some of the aspects I had mixed feeling about.

To be honest, the screen isn't as high resolution as I'd like it to be. Coming from the HTC Touch Pro - which had a 2.8 inch (480x640) screen with pretty much "paper" resolution (some 285ppi) it's a step back despite the Desire's screen being higher resolution - but also bigger in size at 3.7 inches (480x800). Apart from that the colour and brightness are amazing. It's a beautiful screen. It makes the 3G's screen pale in comparison although the iPhone4 will have a far superior screen resolution-wise... I'll await the release to compare colour. The viewing angles on the screen, being AMOLED, are phenomenal. There is NO viewing angle problem at all. The only other downfall of the screen apart from res is the reflections outside. They're really bad. If you shade the phone from the sun you get better results than you would with an LCD because of the brightness this thing pumps out. Despite it being a bright screen, I'd say the AMOLED helps with battery life which is not amazing to be honest, but you'll get through a day easy using it fairly consistently. I was charging it twice a day when I first got it... because... well... I couldn't stop messing with it!

The touch screen is not quite as responsive as an iPhone, but it's almost there. I think it's probably something to do with the Sense UI running over the top of Android. It's doing well considering. All the multitouch gestures seem to work really well.

Well. I've pretty much pointed out the ONLY negatives I can find with this phone in the first few paragraphs. The rest is just the amazing experience that is the HTC Desire. On with the handset a bit more...

The buttons at the bottom are nicely crafted and feel really good to press. This brings be to one of my favourite features of this handset, and it's the easiest to use as well! Hold the search button (far right) for two seconds, tell the handset what you'd like to Google search and within a few seconds you get the Google search results listed. It seriously works 99% of the time. Amazing. Further to that I downloaded a keyboard mod that integrates this into the whole system. So I can dictate emails, SMSs, etc with this. It's really cool to be able to do, but I'm still not sure I'll actually use it that much (despite it's all I've used today - except for this post!). You've just got to say "period" for a full stop and "exclamation mark" for !, etc. The search feature is a keeper though for sure.

Another thing I really like is the ability to tip the phone to landscape and type. With the auto-correcting similar to the iPhone, you can seriously blaze stuff out at 35+wpm most of the time. My phone is no longer a cumbersome device to input text into. You can also set the phone to vibrate a little when you hit a character. It's good to get that tactile feedback.

Anyway. I'm all over the shop here but I'll keep going.

When you first set up the phone it asks you for all your details such as Gmail account, Facebook, Twitter and any other email logins. Everything is then integrated in the OS and ready to rock and roll. One of the best features by far of Android is the ability to link different contact numbers for the one person into one entry. Pretty standard. But it auto suggests links for you including their facebook account. Once the facebook entry is added it populates their contact details with their profile pic, status update, birthday and all the usual links to quick call, SMS, FB profile. Not only that, but this automatically syncs back to your Google account. Go to contacts.google.com and all the contacts for your phone are snyc'ed right there!

Another awesome thing about this phone is the notification bar up the top. Not only does it give you the usual icons regarding battery life, signal, music playing, etc, but it also flashes the content of incoming messages for you to glance at. Swipe down from the top of the screen and it reveals who you've got a message from. It doesn't matter what medium I'm talking through (ie. SMS, Gtalk, etc) because it's irrelevant. All your friend's different contact methods are rolled into one contact making it a seamless communication experience. It's no longer a pain in the arse to have GTalk to talk to someone, etc. It's just always there. I'm sure there is an equivalent Facebook chat app that integrates as well.

Multitasking on this handset is a great experience. It is BLAZING fast. I wait for nothing. It really is worlds away from any other phone I've had in this and many other regards. Anyway, I haven't even got into the apps yet, but will do soon!

To be continued...

Edit: Thought I'd add a tips section. Some of these maybe mentioned above.

TIPS:

To move a widget quickly across multiple screens, tap and hold the widget, then swipe your other finger over the optical directional thingy until you reach the page you want and then drop the widget in a space! Too easy!

Hold the search (hardware) button for two seconds for a quick shortcut to Google voice search.
    Last edited by grandinferno; 20-07-10, 08:12 PM.

query: if you get an SMS and havent looked at it, can it be set to give you a reminder beep or something every few minutes?

Comment

You can set the phone to have the LED flash, or you can download an app called "Missed Reminder" which looks like it would do what you want. I've never used it though.

*so cool searching app store via voice*

Comment

Head over to XDA developers and see what roms they have available. And see if you have Froyo installed. It has wonders that I have not seen in a while.

I am currently using my HTC Dream on Froyo - which people said could never been done hardware wise as processor was not powerfull enough, and not enough ram for the actual rom to fit.

Comment

They are about a stones throw from having Android finished on the HD2 so I'm waiting for that myself.

Comment

I'm quite happy with everything and I really don't want to mess with it yet. I most certainly will whack a custom ROM on it later though. ROMs kept my earlier HTC handset fresh. The only thing that has made me consider a different ROM is disk space. This is probably the most major downfall of this phone... only 512MB onboard storage.

Comment

Nick... open the back of the phone. See that tiny little silver bay, the one that's empty? Put a 32GB microSD in it.

Comment

Froyo - which is coming to the Desire, allows saving apps to the SD card (although the apps themselves must allow this). > Android 2.2 Froyo: everything you ever wanted to know -- Engadget

I've wanted to start this thread in the past week but quite frankly I've been far too busy playing with this wonderful piece of kit. I'm glad you got around to starting it. I've downloaded heaps of apps and was pleasantly surprised at just how many iphone apps that I use on my ipod are available for Android. I've already found Tapatalk, IMDB, Urbanspoon, Around Me, F1 live timing, Shazam, Facebook -not quite as polished as the iphone app but decent none the less and Angry Birds is even coming. Developers are definitely onboard with the OS.

My favourite feature by far is the integration throughout the whole phone with your google account. I've installed the hacked version of Google Maps Navigation so if I want to head off to a site for an inspection I open up my calendar appointment tap on the location, google maps fires up (in a flash) and I hit navigate. Lovely. The GPS itself is also very impressive. I'm sitting in the middle of the house and it still gets a signal within 5 seconds of the GPS being switched on.

Comment

Apps to SD is worth getting a custom rom for it. Basicly it partitions an Ext2 or Ext3 or Ext4 secotion of your SD card and mounts it as a physical location to where your apps are installed to.

Comment

Wait, what? You can't store apps on the external memory by default?

I have apps that are as big as your internal storage!

As awesome as the handset and Android sounds based on all of your comments, that really is just an assurance that it's worth waiting an extra 12 months before moving over. Such a fundamental flaw.

Comment

Why wait?? the new OS 2.2 or Froyo has sorted this out. Apps will get updates so you can use the feature (most already have it).

Since getting the phone I am ashamed that I thought seriously about getting the iphone4, even with its shitty antennae. I must go now and bang my head in the fridge door some more.

I truly believe that you could/should move over now and not waste anytime on the iphone 4. Alternatively stick with the 3GS for a few more months as some of the Android phones that are on the way put everything out there to shame.

HTC Desire HD on Android 2.2 Froyo, 8MP Camera with 720p HD Video Recording? | Gadgets DNA

Comment

Originally posted by grandinferno View Post
                        Further to that I downloaded a keyboard mod that integrates this into the whole system. So I can dictate emails, SMSs, etc with this.
                        Link Plz.

Comment

Originally posted by ResLo View Post
                          Link Plz.
                          Add Full Voice to Text To Android Phones ? Nimbu

I just downloaded and installed the hi res keyboard file and installed and set it up as instructed. I didn't have to download any other file. Although after installing this I have noticed a slight bit of lag. Only slight.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                            Wait, what? You can't store apps on the external memory by default?
                            By default I have been doing this since late 2008 a few months after the phone was released.

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                              By default I have been doing this since late 2008 a few months after the phone was released.
                              The Desire was only released in March of 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X