No announcement yet.

HTC Desire and Android experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and the Desire is still lacking a bit in the hardware department from my perspective. The iPhone 4 records HD at 30fps, has a better screen, and has 802.11 n wireless. And of course the UI is rock solid, as per usual.

Still looking to get the iPhone 4 in a few days, and will look at making the move over around this time next year.

Comment

Yet you are comparing to having applications on previous versions of the Iphone yes? I am comparing to having applications installed to the SD memory on my HTC Dream / G1 which was released last quarter of 2008. The funcion in Android has been there for some time it is just you have to do a bit of hacking back then.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow - I wasn't comparing anything to previous versions of the iPhone.

Comment

My bad for amusing rec.

Having only about 34mb free internal space on my phone currently is quite enough to say install Tom Tom. The Tom Tom app will itself install to the internal memory and I would take a stab in the dark and say it is less than 5mb. However the Map data 200mb ++ I am assuming will save to a folder on the fat32 SD card inserted.

The way the Desire would do this is pretty much the same however it has twice as much ROM as the Dream. And with Froyo you can choose to move the application itself (the .apk java file) to the SD card anyway.

Comment

The iphone has far superior specs. They're incredible. But it's still evil, so I'm happy with my decision.

Comment

Bloatware creeps into Android phones

Comment

People think Telstra are the worst for bloatware but in the end all Telstra do is load up links to Bigpond.

Comment

The only thing missing really from Android on the HD2 is GPS which I can live without until they get it going. If it DOES become a problem I can easily reboot into WM anyway.

Sent from Android on my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is interesting... Given the hardware is more than capable, it's obviously just the software stopping things progressing.

TelstraMod2 is a Custom ROM for Telstra branded HTC Desires (A8183 Model) To updrade the phone to Android 2.2/Froyo.

(This is an EXPERIMENTAL ROM, Install at your own risk!)

What this ROM is and does:

? 2.2 ROM, Based on DJDroid v1.0-R1 BETA
                    ? SenseUI on Froyo!
                    ? 720P Video Recording!
                    ? Forged UAStrings to enable Mobile Foxtel/Unmetered browsing!
                    ? en_AU localisation!
                    ? Bookmarks to Australian versions of popular websites!
                    Source: TelstraMod2 r1 (Froyo, SenseUI, 720p) - HTC - Android - Whirlpool Forums

Comment

That sounded awesome, until:

• FM Radio Glitches all over the place if turned on
                      • Battery life issues
                      • Can be slow
                      • Some items on the Market may not appear

Comment

Oh it's a hacked ROM. I'm more pointing toward the fact that these are Froyo properties that will be officially released soon. I'm pretty excited.

Comment

That's the trade off in using custom ROMS though. Official Froyo ROM should be out before the end of the footy season. By all accounts it certainly brings a big jump in performance but we still dont know if the official ROM will bring 720P recording. Not a deal breaker for me anyway.

I just worked out that I use about $100 a month of my (Business) cap so that leaves $300 to spend on excess data over my allowable 200MB, so I think I could max out on SMS, calls and 1.4GB Internets within my $49 cap. Noice

Comment

The 720p video recording is the biggest thing there for me, personally.

In fact, it has made me reconsider the iPhone 4 purchase. The wireless N and added screen res are great advantages, but not massively important for me.

I'll probably still go the iPhone 4, but will give it some more thought.

Comment

That's the trade off in using custom ROMS though. Official Froyo ROM should be out before the end of the footy season. By all accounts it certainly brings a big jump in performance but we still dont know if the official ROM will bring 720P recording. Not a deal breaker for me anyway.

I just worked out that I use about $100 a month of my (Business) cap so that leaves $300 to spend on excess data over my allowable 200MB, so I think I could max out on SMS, calls and 1.4GB Internets within my $49 cap. Noice

Comment

If the Desire does end up doing official 720p 30fps video recording, here's how they stand:

Desire advantages:
                                - FM Radio
                                - Adobe Flash
                                - Java support
                                - Longer standby time
                                - AMOLED screen
                                - No iTunes

iPhone 4 advantages:
                                - Higher res screen
                                - Wireless N
                                - 3x HSUPA speed (upload)
                                Last edited by rec; 24-07-10, 08:51 PM.