No announcement yet.

Android apps: top picks so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Best app so far I reckon. So, so cool.

Check the help section before fucking around.

Edwin, Speech-to-Speech for Android

Comment

Just watched the sample video.... OMG!!!.. Downloading now.

Comment

I can't get the temperature thing to work, but everything else is fantastic. The "Define" and "spell" commands are awesome.

Map is so good. "Map nearest supermarket" is what I tried and it was so bang on. So so good and so accurate.
        Last edited by grandinferno; 28-07-10, 12:56 AM.

Comment

fuuuuck that's awesome - but do you have to have Michael Cera's voice to get it to work?

Comment

incidentally, if you're using FireFox, don't forget there's an add-on that can generate Android barcodes from the current page URL. Search for 'mobile barcoder'.

Comment

XBMC Remote

My pick goes to the XBMC Remote App. I still have an original Xbox for watching movies on the small TV upstairs in my room and can now control it via a touchscreen controller on my phone that also handles its own onscreen library browsing and cover art etc. Obviously works fine for HTPC versions as well.

This is why I love non-iphones. Windows Mobile 6.5 HD2, ported to Android Froyo (GPS works now too so everything goes), and now XBMC remote control

Comment

Probably not the best reason to love non-iPhones, give that you can hack an iPhone to run Android as well. And XBMC remote has been on the iPhone a long time. Just sayin'.
                Last edited by rec; 29-07-10, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Has the conversation really come down to "mine did it first"?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope. That's not what it's about at all.

Comment

but you do HAVE to hack the iphone to get that working - thought you like the iphone because you didnt have to change anything, rec?

Comment

I can control my XBMC fully with full media integration (seeing the banners of the TV shows/movie info etc) AND Stream my entire XBMC music folder to my iPhone ALL WITHOUT jailbreaking.

And I've been doing that for a year or so now...

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                          but you do HAVE to hack the iphone to get that working - thought you like the iphone because you didnt have to change anything, rec?
                          If you're talking about getting Android to run on the iPhone, it's about as hard as... say, getting Android to run on the HD2.

But you're right - that is part of why I like it, and that is why I haven't done it.

Comment

so are there apps to track and stop 'net data usage if you're about to go over your cap? and do these things run all the time like windows services or do you have to start them up everytime you power on the phone?

Comment

There are services that run in the background from applications - I would then rightly assume so aegis.

For thoes on Virgin Australia mobile network have a look here. The Android Workshop: Virgin Australia Usage Meter

Comment

nice, but i'd rather the handset tracking it's own usage than referring to a website - as that page says, the virgin site might be up to 2 days behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X