No announcement yet.

E-readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sony Runs Android. Better than the PRS-650, except for the plastic instead of aluminium.

Comment

WARNING (Kindle 3 screen is very pressure sensitive will break easy!)

Got back from a trip, and had some time to kick back and read on the kindle during the long flights. Had a blast with the Kindle and would have to say its a step above the other E-ink readers on the market. Over 2 had no problems with the device other than it breaking near the end of the trip when getting it out of the backpack, screen had some weird artifacts on it. Extra reading on the net revealed that E-Ink displays are very sensitive to pressure, so anyone else getting a kindle this Xmas I would recommend getting a leather case to protect the screen.

Other than that, Amazon is shipping me a new Kindle 3, and can't wait till it gets here.

Comment

You can buy covers with inbuilt light that power off the kindle battery.

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
          Had a blast with the Kindle and would have to say its a step above the other E-ink readers on the market
          Based on what experience?

Having tried the new kindle sans keyboard, I have to say it's nothing special. My biggest irritation was with the organisation of books, very quickly becomes unmanageable.

My prs-650 is still a much nicer machine to use, but the new sony readers are even nicer. The build quality is down, plastic instead of aluminium, but they run android and as such the interface is a lot better, and apparently they're selling for $99 in the states. I don't think the sony ebook store is running in australia, but theres plenty of stores selling epubs.

Can't say for other readers, but the only reason I can see for buying a kindle because they're cheaper, and the ease of buying things from amazon store.

As for e-ink screens being fragile, I would expect you not to know that, because it's blatantly obvious.

Comment

Anybody used to kobo touch or any kobo device?

Looking at getting it as a present so need opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
              Based on what experience?

Having tried the new kindle sans keyboard, I have to say it's nothing special. My biggest irritation was with the organisation of books, very quickly becomes unmanageable.
              yeah, fucking hate the book management on my Kindle. And I only have a few books on there at a time.

I also still hate that Amazon retains the capacity to delete my shit without asking if it's connected to their whispernet at all. Doesn't matter how good the device becomes, that feature will always make it second-rate to anything else on the market not made by Apple.

Comment

Working...
              X