Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to uncensor Australian Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2 uncut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to uncensor Australian Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2 uncut)

Word is that zombies are disappearing before they even hit the ground in the edited Aussie version.

Rec's method work to get the overseas version? (http://www.gamers-underground.com/fo...thout-vpn.html)

Enable gore fix:
    This fix can be run without risk. There is no chance of receiving a ban.

You need to edit 2 text files, and in future only launch the game via the left4dead2.exe instead of through Steam.

The first file ("steam_appid.txt") is found in \Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2 demo and needs to be edited as per this picture ("590" to "510"):

Click image for larger version

Name:	l4d2demofix.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	601831

Second file ("steam.inf") is found in \Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2 demo\left4dead2 and needs to be edited as per this picture ("590" to "510"):

Click image for larger version

Name:	l4d2demofix2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	601832

You've now enabled gorey, unedited goodness that the OFLC didn't want you to have.

Uncensored hack:
    Originally posted by t1myah View Post
    I can verify it works fine online. Simply run the program before launching l4d2.

edit by Aegis: link - https://sites.google.com/site/left4uncut/l4u
    Last edited by Aegis; 15-10-11, 03:13 PM. Reason: added gore hack link

Having the Aussie release I noticed the bodies fade away before they even hit the floor.
    Sorry Drowning Pool....

Comment

I'll be playing a little later today - I'll let you know a) if my demo is the AU or UK version and b) if I'm experiencing the same bugs.

Comment

Confirmed that bodies disappear before they hit the floor.

I fixed the game not launching by updating video drivers, too.

Comment

From what I'm reading, it is indeed just the AU version with the stupid bodies disappearing. Some quotes from the AusGamers forum about the different levels of gore:

Originally posted by Mephz
          Can confirm that gifted from NZ demo is at least gory, blowing out zombies chests/stomachs/legs/arms etc. is cool
          Originally posted by ravn0s
          aus demo is censored. people on steam forums are complaining about how shit it is.
          Originally posted by jum
          i got my copy from a US 4 pack. i can see limbs and stuff flying off
          Originally posted by do_0b
          fukin censored version sucks, bodies dissapear as soon as they die, limbs dont fly off, not much blood, heads dont explode. BALLS
          Originally posted by Khel
          Yeah, I ordered from the US and mine is full violence. Decapitating zombies with a guitar results in a very satisfying blood fountain And I had to laugh when I shotgun a zombie and blew the front half of its chest of and it just staggered around for a while looking confused with no front, and then died.

Comment

Number 1 was more gory than number 2; it's stupid.

Comment

Heaps of people are already working towards modifying the low violence files to enable all of the gore - there'll no doubt be a resolution for owners of the AU version soon enough.

Comment

Why can't you add the GU server as a favourite? How are you meant to connect to it?

I also read the German version has console commands to work around the restrictions

violence_ablood 1
                violence_agibs 1
                violence_hblood 1
                violence_hgibs 1

Tried it on AU version with no joy though.

Comment

Afaik you can't add any L4D2 servers to the Steam server browser? You can't even select Left 4 Dead 2 in the games list to see a server list.

But, when you go into L4D2, our server will pop-up down bottom as one of your Steam Group servers. Also you can click-through to join a Steam Group server via the campaign start thingo.

Comment

FYI

Originally posted by AusGamers.com
                    The demo for Left 4 Dead 2 has hit today a bit later than planned. Already it's pretty obvious the Australian version has been watered down almost pathetically - zombies vanish almost as soon as they hit the floor and the level of violence in the game has been reduced to very tender levels.

While the core gameplay is unaffected, it does dramatically affect the atmosphere of the game (and frankly it looks sort of lame after you've seen the US version). We're having a bit of a play around at the moment to see if there's any way Australians are able to flip over to the uncrippled version, so stay tuned.

Comment

good on 'em. i cant help but think the over cuddly-ified version is meant to stir us up. when does SA have its next election?

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                        Afaik you can't add any L4D2 servers to the Steam server browser? You can't even select Left 4 Dead 2 in the games list to see a server list.

But, when you go into L4D2, our server will pop-up down bottom as one of your Steam Group servers. Also you can click-through to join a Steam Group server via the campaign start thingo.
                        Yeah that's the other problem - I can join a lobby for the GU servers but theres never a match running and I cant start one

Comment

Try now Milenko. It wasn't even seeing you connect?

Comment

Hey rec... did you way of getting a non censored version work? ie its actually non censored.

Comment

If you have a copy from any Steam store except Australia's, purchased by you or gifted to you, you get the uncensored version.

Dozens of people on AusGamers got the USA version, and are playing it with full violence.

Comment

Working...
                              X