Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to uncensor Australian Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2 uncut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those trying to uncensor the AU version, here are things that have been tried and failed, plus some extra comments:

Originally posted by Trog
    - deleting the left4dead2_lv folder (which is the only obvious on-disk difference between US/AU versions)

- using the client.dll file from US version - different md5s between AU and US

39b7db01a3a2f824f8ef87b9371be6f4 *au-client.dll
    5b46f4083e625f8e175b0e5a69073289 *us-client.dll

- syncing entire US directory over my AU directory

- quick poke in registry for obvious settings differences; nothing yet. I suspect it might be tied into the license data.

- edit: also tried a full export from a US-based copy and import into AU based; no luck there either.

From what I can tell all the gory content/data IS present in the AU version - there's no missing data files that I can see (from a windiff of the entire directory structure). So that means it's probably a simple setting that needs to be discovered to flick it over. If it's a license issue it might be a bit more complicated than that though.
    violence_ablood 1
    violence_agibs 1
    violence_hblood 1
    violence_hgibs 1

are not in the AU version of the game at all

Comment

I figured the censored version would be at L4D level; but its worse.

Im tempted to attempt a refund and re-buy it from overseas now.

Comment

This is what it *should* look like (albeit with shitty graphcis settings):

I hope, for the sake of people that bought the AU version that there is indeed a way around it, and that it's not checked at a Steam/license level. That would truly suck.

Comment

Some extra info:

Originally posted by Trog
          left4dead2.exe is md5-same between my copy and a US copy. Client.dll is the only file I can see that is different.

We have an additional package: l4d2_lv. This contains the censored content and is loaded at runtime over the top of the base package.
          I have successfully deleted that whole directory and ran the game - I get the feeling that directory is a Valve ruse to throw us off the scent. The game runs fine - with normal censored content - without that directory.

Comment

This is why all efforts to uncensor the aussie version will fail
            Click image for larger version

Name:	atcockson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	595304

Comment

Aussies are joining servers, raging, and leaving at a dramatic rate - including our server.

Originally posted by ctd
              Edit: It took me 4 different lobbies to get a game because all the aussies are raging in chat about how crap it looks.

Comment

The most popular theory atm is it's checking the individual purchase locale; from the software license for each user upon launch.

Meaning we're boned.

Comment

nah that cant be right lenko - since that german hack apparently works (using the german client.dll or whatever file it was)

Comment

that german hack was for tf2 wasn't it?

Comment

FPSBANANA > Forum > L4D > Help > L4D Uncut patch safe?

this one? says L4d2 all over so assuming it's not - never know though, and i'd rather not risk it myself

edit: nvm it's L4D not 2.

Comment

Its for L4D however it works for L4D2 and a few other games as well. Rumour is it can get you banned though.

Comment

PS. L4D2 uncensored is awesome. Decapitation wielding a guitar, cutting arms off with blades, blowing off legs while they're jumping with a shotgun... and of course, blow their heads into bits with pistols.

Comment

welcome to l4d rec

Comment

I thrashed L4D while living in the UK. The melee weapons make things a whole lot more fun, and the gore is better.

Comment

Buying from uk seems to work, or at least the demo is uncensored for me. Well heads explode, bodies stay put, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X