Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to uncensor Australian Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2 uncut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, can confirm that the full version is completely uncensored if you purchased it from the UK/USA - intro included.

Comment

• Yeah I meant to post this age ago when Demo was out.

Basically if you modify your game and run it straight from its executable; it's not a 'steam registered' instance and thusly you cannot see your STEAMCLOUD servers (GU Servers) or any of your friends online (unless they too are running it viat he same method as you).

Comment

• mine differs

my text numbers are 150, not 590 or 510 and i have the aus version.
        Does any one know if i can still edit my copy to uncensor it?

Comment

• there is one thing i dont quite get:
          does the 510-trick really work for you guys?

i have the cut german version (bought it over steam) and i tried the 510-trick. it worked.

but there was one problem with it: the game literally showed me only a handful lobbies and games. there were like 10 lobbies and 15 games, that its. there were only 50 people or so playing online.
          i read that if you do the 510-trick, the game only shows you lobbies and games that are being played by people who did the same trick.

if thats the case, this is not the way i want to make the game uncut. it sucks if you have so few people online to play with.

and what does that "starting directly with the l4d2.exe rather than out of steam" has to do with it?
          Last edited by msa; 24-11-09, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Read the post two up from yours.

If you launch from STEAM, the game becomes 'STEAM registered'; meaning you can see your steamcloud servers and your friends online. It also means that it resets your editing and it becomes censored.

If you edit it; then launch it from the l4d2.exe, you can play uncensored but you can't see your steam friends (unless they are edited too); or you steamcloud servers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Milenko View Post
              Read the post two up from yours.
              d'oh... sometimes it helps to open your eyes :-D

but apart from that... there is still no other fix to make german/australian versions of the game uncut in a way so that you can still play online normally?
              Last edited by msa; 24-11-09, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• There is a dll hook using an injector; however I personally would refrain from using it as i'm pretty sure that if it's detected, you could cop a ban.

I believe it is the same one they used for L4d #1 (German version too). A look on google might find it laying around the internets someplace

Comment

• Achievements

Has anybody with the hack found that with it on u gain achievements but if u close it down u lose all achievements that u gained?????????

Comment

• I also found i can no longer go in to the cut version and play
                    is this normal???

Comment

• Don't worry, we'll make more
                      February 11, 2010 - L4D Team

In the first two months of Left 4 Dead 2's release, 28,981,249,043 zombies have been shot, bludgeoned, chainsawed and killed — or, for our younger readers, taken to a farm where they can frolic and shuffle around forever.

You read that correctly: 28 BILLION. To put that number in perspective:

* The entire population of the planet has been zombified and killed 4.26 times.

* With the average height of a zombie being 6 feet, if you stacked them end to end they would circle the globe 1,322 times.

* If you placed 28,981,249,043 rulers end to end, they would reach 28,981,249,043 feet in the sky.

In short: That is a bucketload of dead zombies. Nice job, everyone.

Left 4 Dead Blog

Comment

• Im running Vista and the first file that needs to be edited is not showing. Iv changed my folder options to "Show hidden Folders" and " Show already known Extension Types", but i still cant see steam_appid.txt. any ideas?

Comment

• Massive necro:

So now that I am in the UK, I sent Valve an email requesting a way to change my version to uncensored.
                          I got this email back:

Originally posted by Valve Support
                          Hello Sean,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please try the following:

Exit Steam entirely.

Click Start > Run (or Windows Key + R).

Then, type "regedit" and press enter

Browse to the following location:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE

Rename the "Valve" folder to "Valve_old".

Launch Steam and re-test the issue.
                          I was dubious, but it worked. I now have fully uncensored L4D2.
                          Anyone in AU willing to give this a shot? I'm not sure if they changed my 'license' to UK, or if that method just flat out fixes it.

Comment

• i would imagine that since your region will now be UK, the renaming of the valve folder would be so that your steam profile can register that its now in an un-banned area.

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing Ratty.

What I want (to test it) is an Aussie person with the censored version to test it via my UK VPN.
                              Any takers?

Comment

• will get pala to give it a shot when's online

Comment

Working...
                                X