Bad Company 2 tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Company 2 tweaks

If youre running an ATI card and you find BC2 crashes on startup (no error)
    - Go to battlefield bad company 2 beta\BFBC2Game.exe and right click -> properties -> compatibility and "Run this program as an administrator"

To get an ATI frames boost:
    - Set Catalyst A.I to max

For a reported 10-20 fps boost:
    - Documents>BFBC2Beta and open up "settings.ini"
    - Change "renderaheadlimit" to 0 instead of 2

For a reported giant general performance boost:
    - Change "Bloom=true" to false

For another potentially big performance update (especially with Quad Core users):
    - Documents>BFBC2Beta and open up "settings"
    - Change "HSAO=true" to false (also settable in the in-game "advanced" graphics settings)

Other settings.ini changes that you can try:
    - Undergrowth=”medium” – Put this to low, if experiencing frame-rate issues. This map has a lot of it.
    - Water=”medium” - Not really any water to traverse in this map, go ahead and set this to low.
    - MSAA=”2″ - This is Anti-aliasing, this will always use up a lot of a gpx cards resources. Set this to “0″
    - Shadows=”medium”- you can also set this to low to improve performance
    - Textures=”medium”- Setting this to low can improve FPS at the cost of visual eye candy.
    - Aniso=2 - Set this to 0 to disable Anisotropic filtering.

To fix sticky controls (for those who get key shadow/lag with wasd etc):
    - Delete the joystick conrols under foot (options->controls->foot), then it works fine

To run DX9 for improved performance (this also stops random crashes for some people):
    - Documents>BFBC2Beta and open up "settings"
    - Add "DxVersion=dx9" to the list (without quotation)

You closed the PunkBuster agreement window and can't get it back:
    - Head to Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2 beta\install\PunkBuster and re-install Punkbuster

To run the game in a window:
    - Simply hit alt+enter and change your resolution to something smaller than your desktop.

For sticky/laggy mouse issues:
    - Disable mouse acceleration in the game's mouse settings, and turn off Vsync in the graphics settings.

What ports should I open for multiplayer if I'm having connectivity trouble?
    - Port: 80 TCP
    - Port: 18121 TCP
    - Port: 18126 TCP
    - Port: 18126 UDP
    - Port: 13505 TCP

What ports should I open for multiplayer if I'm having EA connection issues?
    - 18390 TCP Outgoing
    - 18395 TCP Outgoing
    - 18395 UDP Outgoing
    - 13505 TCP Outgoing
    - 80 TCP Outgoing

You can't look up-down and/or left-right - "my mouse isn't working"
    - You've accidentally bound something to the axes that BF2 uses for looking around.
    - Reset your controls to fix this.
    - In future, when binding things to your mouse, pay close attention; if you move the mouse at all while binding, it will register & bind that horizontal or vertical movement axes, replacing your look ones.

To enable war tapes audio:
    - Change your audio setting to "war tapes" instead of "hifi"
    An example of the change can be seen here:

To add the GU servers to your favorites & recent games list:
    - Documents>BFBC2Beta and open up "GameSettings.ini"
    - Replace "FavoriteGames" with the following:
    Code:
    FavoriteGames=553951853,a8649c3b-33f0-471b-a6ba-042d6f287885,Gamers-Underground.com #1 [Conquest];113327715,c43047a3-8594-4279-a171-9bac892e01d7,Gamers-Underground.com #2 [Rush];2136502612,c9376a37-bf4c-442f-8b6c-601d7e23c0fa,Gamers-Underground.com #3 [Rush];2411996085,2ae43fa5-9864-47a5-92eb-d6a3a857c672,Gamers-Underground.com #4 [Rush];

How to adjust your FOV -Field of View *New in Retail

- Default is "FOV" variable is set to 55, but you can adjust that up to 120 (per repi)
    Note: The FOV in the settings.ini file is the vertical FOV, people usually talk about horizontal FOV, so you have to convert your desired HFOV to VFOV using this calculator: FOV calculatorFor those who are playing BC2 in the same network as another person:
    Many are experiencing getting kicked when a friend on LAN joins the same server. To fix this, in Steam:
    - Go to Steam's My games menu
    - Right-click on the BFBC2 and select Properties
    - From the General tab, click the Set launch options button
    - Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
    - Code: +clientport 270XX (Where XX is a different number for each system - do not use 27020)

To improve hit registration:
    Are you tired of shooting people in Bad Company 2 but they don't take any damage? So was I. One poster on Gamefaqs (spank_thru101) posted a possible solution to the problem so I decided to test it out. Upon further investigation, this was also something you could edit in previous battlefield games.

Basically, add these two lines;

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.0450000
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 45

to your gamesettings.ini and settings.ini file in the BFBC2 folder.
    In gamesettings.ini, add them between the lines;

IntroPlayed=1
    [GstPersistence]

In settings.ini, just add it to the end of the list. Save both files.

BEFORE YOU TRY THIS, change the value to your general server ping. For me, when I refresh the list, most servers are 31-45 ping. So, I change the values to .045 and 45 for 45 ping.

Say most of your servers are 73 ping, you'll want to change the values at the end of the previously stated changes to .073 and 73 respectively.

Apparently the battlefield series tries to compensate for an average of 100ms ping by default and so the hitboxes appear to "lag behind" the actual player model you're seeing in game. This fix changes it so that the models are where the hitboxes actually are by adjusting to your average ping instead.
    Last edited by rec; 21-04-10, 05:21 PM.

Updated this list.

Comment

This is Jason, from BadCompanyTwo.com.. Hey rec, next time you decide to copy and past from our website, try giving us credit.

settings.ini section is my writing exactly, Now other sites are copy and pasting your site, (fragcast.org) giving you credit, this is how i found out that it originally came from you.

Comment

does it really matter?

Comment

ZOMG!!! look at the page views.... over 1000

Comment

Updated with ATI crash fix.

Comment

An alternative to that ATI card problem (one which I had) is to upgrade your Steam client to the beta in Steams settings. Fixed it for me. A third way (for me) was to run the exe directly from the folder.

Comment

Any idea why my bc2 crashes when a massive explosion kills me

Comment

disable the realism mod

Comment

Just added a cool Favorite server trick to the top of this list. Thanks Fleshy!

To add all Australian East coast servers to your in-game favorites list:
                    - Documents>BFBC2Beta and open up "GameSettings.ini"
                    - Find "FavoriteGames=" and make it look like this:
                    FavoriteGames=Sydney;Gamers-Underground.com;GameArena;CyberGamer;
                    (Sydney is for Hypernia)

Comment

And a cool sound improvement too:

To enable more engaging audio:
                      - Change your audio setting to "war tapes" instead of "hifi"
                      An example of the improvement can be seen here:
                      YouTube - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - War Tapes & HIFI Sound Settings Comparison

Comment

Unofficial Battlefield: Bad Company 2 BETA Sound Issues Thread - Steam Users' Forums

For later reading on sound problems (unbalanced sound).

PS: War tapes sounds like crap.

Comment

The server treat worked well (adding to favourites)

Also found i remaped my wasd keys and couldn't move even when defaulting keys.
                          I am not sure , but i think bad company 2 had mapped my joystick in conflict with my movement keys.
                          I got rid of them and could move again

Comment

A beta may be released this week or next.
                            We just got the results back from QA for the new patch version and unfortunately it isn't good news. Multiple CTD's and performance issues. This of course means we won't be releasing a patch today.

Sorry guys, maybe tomorrow
                            I'll keep you updated with our plans during tomorrow.
                            Patch (R3) Status Update - Electronic Arts UK Community

Comment

renderaheadlimit 0 = 20 extra fps - Electronic Arts UK Community

Comment

Working...
                              X